We are smack-dab in the midst of this magnificent voting season for the midterms, and it is my first time voting! Honestly, I am jazzed about this whole democracy thing.
Befittingly, I thought that we should enact our citizenship responsibilities in other, exuberant ways. The following are 1 hot-button bills going through Congress right now. If any of these really grind your gears (in a good or bad way), you can reach US representatives by calling 202-225-3121. After you dial it up, simply ask the operator to transfer you to your representative's office.
1. If you are passionate about gun laws: "Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017"
This bill allows a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into another state.
2. If you care deeply about immigration: "Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act of 2017"
This bill seeks to eliminate the numerical limitation for employment-based immigrants and increase the immigration limitation to 15% of the total number of family-sponsored visas.
3. If you have lots of opinions on Putin: "Stand with UK against Russia Violations Act"
This bill imposes sanctions on those who executed the recent attack on Sergei and Yulia Skripal.
4. If addiction has touched your life: "SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act"
This bill promotes opioid recovery for individual patients and communities, specifically former foster care youth and those in juvenile detention centers.
5. If you just have a uterus: "Maternal Health Accountability Act of 2017"
This bill desires to empower the health of mothers during pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum period, to eliminate pregnancy-associated deaths.
6. If you have lots of opinions on the death penalty: "Eric's Law"
This bill entails a second death-sentencing hearing before a new jury in the event of a non-unanimous decision in the first trial.
7. If you like employment perks: "Responsible Additions and Increases to Sustain Employee Health Benefits Act of 2018"
This bill allows the progress of flexible health spending arrangements.
8. If you have heard about #MeToo: "Improve Data on Sexual Violence Act"
This bill is somewhat self-explanatory, it establishes a Federal group to collect data on sexual violence and makes recommendations on the alleviation of assaults.
9. If you know all about modern-day slavery: "Abolish Human Trafficking Act of 2017"
This bill assists in squashing sex slavery in the United States.
10. If you adore this Earth: "Save Our Seas Act of 2018 "
This bill aids in hyping up international action to reduce marine debris because, apparently, we use and abuse our planet.
11. If you consider yourself a Beyoncé-level feminist: "Women’s Entrepreneurship and Economic Empowerment Act of 2018"
This bill improves programs that have to do with women's entrepreneurship by means of the United States Agency for International Development.
Let's shake up this bureaucracy!