Here's Why Your Academy Awards Opinion Is Invalid

My hypocritical hot take.

20

So many people anxiously wait for the Academy Awards every year and every year like clockwork people begin to criticize the winners. Many of this is reasonable as film critics and people who watch all the nominated films beforehand sometimes develop strong opinions regarding the Academy's decisions, but I am completely over the people who develop their opinions regarding Awards Shows after only seeing the big blockbusters and ignoring the smaller films that were overlooked in those months leading up to awards season. This year was a big year for the awards as Lady Gaga made her film debut in "A Star Is Born" and it's safe to say that every gay was gagged. I agree! Her performance was stellar, proving that she is a force to be reckoned with. Still, when the names were announced for best actress last night I knew that Olivia Colman had it in the bag. After seeing "The Favourite" it was hard to see how any other Actress would play a more demanding role this awards season. The night after the Oscars caused almost a riot about Ms. Gaga's so-called snub. These remarks made me question if these people even experienced "The Favourite", one of the most intriguing films of 2018.

The outroar continued as Green Book won over the fan favorites "A Star is Born" and "Bohemian Rhapsody". I did not have an opportunity to see "Green Book", so I don't have room to say any film was better than any of the other contenders and this is where the public's opinions and critics don't line up. If you haven't seen all the film nominees than do you really have any room to spew your opinion after seeing less than half of the nominees? Call me a hypocrite because I didn't see all the nominees, but I'm not the one condemning the Academy's decisions that are unchangeable now. It's just an awards show and why should we base what's "the best" on the opinions of an academy that's 91% white and 76% male? Have whatever opinions you want, but at the end of the day whoever wins, wins. Don't hate the player hate the game!