There is a clear difference between loneliness and solitude.

There is this great confusion between loneliness and solitude. Many people believe that being solitary is being alone. And this can sometimes be true. But I do think that solitude has a very separate definition, and is perhaps less lamentable than perceived.

The thing is, our society undoubtedly places a premium on being extroverted. So being introverted, or more solitary at times, is generally frowned upon; seen as strange. And I do get this. I mean, we - as humans - crave other human contact. We need to socialize in some capacity. We need to be around others, and feel loved and cared for. This is true of everyone.

But that does not mean that being reticent is inherently wrong, or bad in any way. I think that the greatest misconception about being introverted is that they are choosing desolation. This is not true. If a person prefers to be more solitary at times, this does not mean that they are choosing loneliness.

Being solitary, singular, more cloistered, does not necessarily mean that one is forlorn. There have been times where I've felt far more alone while in a room full of people, then when completely by myself. Being alone is a state of mind. I think it's the worst thing in the world, and no one should ever have to feel that sense of abandonment. But the amount of people you surround yourself with doesn't necessarily change that.

Of the people I've known to suffer from loneliness, some have been wonderfully loud, confident and convivial. They may have had plenty of friends. Being extroverted does not make one immune to it. It does not matter how many people you surround yourself with, or what kind of personality you have. That despairing, inconsolable feeling of being stranded can consume just about anyone. Being alone does not mean being "friendless," or being a recluse. The word has a much deeper meaning.

So I think this unfavorable rendering should be altered, this rendering of those who are more reserved, quiet and inward-bound. There is nothing bad about being who you are.