90's Music Life Lesson

90's Music Life Lesson

Songs to take with you into the Millennium

170
90's Music Life Lesson
BA (Hons) Music Management

Top TEN 90's Music Life Lessons

Music throughout history changes with the culture of a time period; and while there is a piece of each era that brings appreciation; such as the 1950’s doo-wop beats or shaking a tail feather to disco in the 1970s, arguably 1990’s music( where rap culture and alternative music emerged), includes powerful lyrics which teaches life lessons that every kid, teen and or adult from the 90’s should take into his or her future. Provided is a list of top TEN 1990’s song lyric quotes that have traveled with me for twenty plus years as crucial lessons.

1. “Because maybe, you’re gonna be the one that save me.”

“Wonderwall” by Oasis was released in October 1995 and immediately climbed the top ten charts in both America, Canada and New Zealand. There will be a period in our life where we are faced with desperation. When that period emerges, there is always that one “Lobster for life” (as said in a “Friends” episode) that will lift you--let your “savior” be the one to help you when you are most vulnerable.

2. “Sky's the limit and you know that you keep on/Just keep on pressin' on”

“Sky’s the Limit” released November 25, 1997 by Notorious B.I.G. was played on repeat while I filled out college applications back in the year of 2001. After being rejected by my top school choice of Boston College; I concluded that there will be rejection in life and I had to “Just keep pressin’ on.”

3. “And it's happened once again/ I'll turn to a friend/Someone that understands/Sees through the master plan”

September 1997, Blink released these lyrics in their featured song “Dammit.” Two things occur after high school graduation: you go to college or you join the workforce. Regardless of what you decide, it is common you lose connections with old friends and may form new friendships. However, when there is a life changing event that takes place, whether an upcoming proposal, break up, new baby, new job or unfortunately a death, you always resort back to those friends you have had your entire life--the ones who understand you like no other and have witnessed all your “Master plans.”

4. “She'll drive you right out of your mind/That girl is poison.”

Bell Biv DeVoe’s "Poison" was released in the winter of 1990 and immediately ranked as the number 2 song for Billboards Top 100. This song is a friendly reminder that we will sadly encounter a toxic person in our life that will sprinkle us with their poisonous drama-- and before engaging in their web of manipulation, it is best to recognize that they are poison and cut off ties.

5. “No matter how much Peter loved her/What made the Pan refuse to grow?”

"Hook" by the Blues Traveler was a hit song from their 1994 album Four and alludes to the story of Peter Pan. Although Peter Pan is a character in a storybook, Peter Pan is about 90% of high school to mid college males (if you are extra Pan, you can even end up being a Peter Pan in adulthood!) These “Peter Pans” have in common that no matter how much they love that “Wendy” what makes them refuse to grow? Could it be “Forever” as a term provides anxiety of a lifetime? Or could it be that a man just wants to play XBox and beer pong without having to respond to several suspicious text from “Wifey?” Whatever the situation, no matter how much we love Peter Pan, believe me, (a now real life Wendy)- Peter never grows!--and you will find him late into his 30’s outside on the deck with several beers, listening to Nirvana on his Dr. Dre headphones laughing uncontrollably as he plays a game of “Catch me if you can” with a possum who has been digging holes under our deck.

6. “Sorry I never told you/All I wanted to say.”

Mariah Carey released “One Sweet Day” February 1995. The older we get, the more people we will lose. It is inevitable- you and I will die. Often, the one thing we regret when Judgement Day does arrive is not telling our loved ones all we felt. You never want to be the person with regret--so express yourself to the living as often as possible.

7. "Free your mind and the rest will follow."

En Vogue released “Free Your Mind” in 1994 and won a Grammy Award for Best Music Video. With so many stressors in life, it is often beneficial to mediate for a short duration during your day. By freeing yourself of these stressors, you are able to think more clearly and let go of any negativity you have encountered during the day.

8. “No one can change your life except for you.”

“Hold On” by Wilson Phillips was released on February 27, 1990 and won the Billboard Music for Hot 100 Single of the Year for 1990. This song was recently made popular by being a theme song in the 2011 comedy Bridesmaid. The catchy tune downplays the powerful line which illustrates that you yourself have the ability to change your life. Most of us never discover that and or act on it: we are stuck in careers we despise, live in a state we cannot afford, stay in relationships that have to go, and engage in habits, whether innocent like eating too many processed foods or serious ones (addictions). Several years into our lives as young adults/adults and we think these factored have shaped who we are destined to become. We look for answers anywhere we can with how to change these factors however...the one thing we never look in is inside ourselves. Yes: therapy, a self help book, and medication can help however, the only magic wand that will truly bring about change is recognizing that no one but you has the power.

9. “Don't go chasing waterfalls. / Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.”

T.L.C. released “Waterfalls” in the summer of 1994. I was curious as a kid, but fortunately did not chase waterfalls. There will be a time in your life you want to experiment--you can be a young adult or sadly succumb to substance abuse later in adulthood. Sometimes, sticking with what we know to be safe will keep us here in the next century!

10.“We gotta start makin’ changes / learn to see me as a brother ‘stead of two distant strangers.”

“Changes” by Tupac Shakur was released October 1998 and later won Best Rap Solo Performance in 2000. Without getting political, this nation has never been more divided with lifestyles, politics, racial class, religion, and the list continues to climb. It is easy to select a position, but far harder to work together. As Tupac declared, it is time to make some changes.

By now, you are humming to at least one of these tunes listed. Remember, "Behind every music quote there is an untold story..."