Living In Italy
Travel

What It Really Feels Like To Live In Italy

This is going to be the best experience of my life.

71

It has been two days into my first semester of college, but unlike most other people starting out, I'm in Rome. I've been excited for months about this. I had an idea of what to expect when I got here, but it is unlike anything that I could ever dream up.

The program that I'm in has me studying at a school called John Cabot University that is right in the heart of Rome. JCU is basically built in to all of the cobblestone roads with some buildings that are probably older than the United States. It's only been two days, but I've already seen the Colosseum and the area that surrounds it. I was blown away by the scenery. Everywhere you look there is ancient ruins, and history is around every corner. My favorite part is that the buildings aren't very tall, but are very close together, giving the opportunity for the beautiful alleys lined with restaurants and stores that you see in so many pictures.

Right now, the hardest part is the language barrier. I don't speak a lick of Italian, so trying to communicate when it comes to buying things at stores or at dinner, I'm really struggling. It's a great learning experience, however. Being completely surrounded by a different culture is something that everybody needs to experience. It has kept me in awe for 42 hours straight, and I'm sure that it will kill me in awe this entire semester. Spending only two days here has already got me thinking about living in Europe as an adult.

It's crazy that I'm all the way across the globe, but it's very evident. It's nothing like the United States, and I expected that. I can't wait to see even more in the weeks to come.