7 Reasons Why I'm Excited To Be An English Teacher

"To be or not to be a teacher? That is not the question."

4836
Pexels.com

Every time someone asks me what I'm majoring in, I'm more than excited to tell them that I am majoring in English and Secondary Education. I'm usually meant with a snide remark or two about how I won't be making money, or that education is a dying career. So while they may have their negative opinions about my future career, I can't help but stay positive. I cannot wait to become a teacher, and here are the reasons why.

1. Teaching is my passion.

I love helping people learn new concepts. I'm so excited to teach my students how to write an eloquent essay for their college entrance exams. I'm excited to provide literature for them to read and for them to expand their horizons by learning about the experiences of others through different perspectives. I wouldn't be able to do that in another career, so education is definitely for me.

2. I enjoy reading and editing papers.

While I may not be as brash as Nick Miller, I do enjoy giving constructive criticism when I edit papers. Being able to write in a clear manner is so important in today's society. I'm excited to help my students prepare for their futures by teaching them how to write professionally.

3. Literature can be lit.

While the reading list may be a bit hefty, reading can be fun! Gatsby had legendary parties and an air of mystery. How can that not be interesting to read? I'm excited to get my students excited about classic novels that have been written throughout the years.

4. Literature can inspire you to use your own voice.

Some of the best conversations I have ever had have been in an English classroom. One of my teachers used the concept of Lord of the Flies to separate our classroom into groups and let us discuss how our group would survive on a desert island. It was so much fun, and we didn't want to leave our class until we settled on one way to survive. Bringing your own ideas to a discussion is a great way to learn about yourself and a great way to learn about others.

5. I get to build my own classroom library.

This idea is so cute to me! I'm so excited to encourage reading to my students. Having books on the wall along with their summaries sounds like a great way to engage students in reading and finding books that they might have an interest in.

6. Finding new ways to teach literature is so much fun.

Finding The Lizzie Bennet Diaries on YouTube was so much fun for me when I was reading Pride and Prejudice for one of my classes. This modern adaption of Pride and Prejudice is a great way to get students interested in classic literature. Jane Austen would be proud.

7. I can be creative with each of my lesson plans.

Showing my creativity within my lesson plans is something I'm truly excited about. I've thought about bringing food based on the different novels that we'll read in class on discussion days, and different review games to keep the stories straight before the test. There are so many ways you can involve your students in your lesson plans. You just have to get creative!

While I've only listed seven reasons, I could go on forever about how I am so excited to become a teacher. While my job may not pay the most, being able to be passionate about my job is so much more important to me. So please, continue on with your snarky remarks. They don't bother me. I know that what I'm pursuing is the right path for me.