6 Things NOT to do when writing a paper

6 Things NOT to do when writing a paper

Remember your audience and what type of course the paper is for.

107
6 Things NOT to do when writing a paper
Zade Barker

There are essentials in writing papers, and some people I realize have trouble with grammar, but please do NOT write like a fourth grader. Peer reviews hit for senior seminar and all I can think is "I want to bash my head in". The only lucky thing for this, is that we have the peer review so that in our final defense we aren't torn to shreds even more. Here is a list of things not to do in your paper, some people may have no hope.

1. If it's a run-on sentence just fix it

Guys, this is the basics, don't just leave a run-on sentence, or worse separate and then just put an "and" at the beginning. To create a proper paper, you have to complete your thoughts before beginning new ones. The same can be said of continuing with one idea and running out of points to hit.

2. Remember, and is NOT a way to start a sentence or a paragraph

A paragraph is meant to be a completely new idea, there is meant to be flow not a continuation of the previously stated information. We learned this in elementary school guys, never start a sentence with and or but.

3. Use proper sources

Do not cite information from websites such as IMDB, or TV shows, because it is known that once stated the information comes from there. Whenever writing a history paper, sources should be scholarly not pulled from episodes.

4. Write your paper to fit within the course

I'm in a history course not a media course. Do not write a senior thesis about a topic that in no way focuses on history. Would you write a colonial history paper about Dub step? No, that's absolutely off base and would get the writer laughed out of the room, so make it fit within the theme.

5. Write an actual thesis statement

The thesis statement shows the reader what you are talking about and the point of your paper. If you can't depict what you want your paper to be about within the first paragraph, your argument is immediately invalid.

6. State facts not opinions

History papers are built on factual knowledge, whether or not you believe someone was a great writer, actress, singer anything means absolutely NOTHING. This goes for any type of research, your thoughts mean absolutely nothing unless you can validate them. Find your facts, make sure that what you say is backed up and your paper is valid.