Forgive and Forget: Part Eight
Health Wellness

Forgive and Forget: Part Eight

A Short Story Series

52
Forgive and Forget: Part Eight

"Didn't expect you to roll."

"Didn't expect you to come with me."

"Momentum love."

Leah's eye went wide.

"Sorry. I'm sorry. It just slipped out."

Leah put a finger to his lips to silence him.

"It's okay."

Conner pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"We should probably move." Conner murmured.

"Why?" Leah breathed.

"Leah, I don't want you to regret anything. And if we stay this way. I think you might."

Leah sighed.

"You're right."

Leah pushed herself off of Conner and laid back down next to him.

"I don't know how to make things normal between us again. I want to. I just don't know how."

"It's going to take some time. But we'll figure our way back. We always do."

"Took twelve years but yeah, I guess eventually we do."

Leah took Conner's hand in hers.

"I'm not running away again. I promise."

"Me too."

Conner kissed the top of Leah's head and pulled her into his side. Leah absorbed the feeling of being in his arms again. It felt right. It always had. She could feel her resolve beginning to crack. He'd always been the one, but there were things he didn't know yet that may change how he felt about her. She'd have to take it one day at a time and hope for the best at this point. She'd never fallen out of love with Conner. That much was clear. It had only taken a day of being around him for her to forgive him. The question was, would he ever forgive her.

Her head teeming with thoughts about the difficult conversation she'd need to have with him. Leah turned her face away from Conner.

"Do you want to get in bed?"

Leah nodded. She hoisted herself up and slid under the covers. She left the spot next to her open with the covers pulled down.

"Come on." She said, patting the bed.

"Are you sure?"

"We're just sleeping. Just so we're clear."

"That's fine with me."

"Good. Now get in."

Conner slid next to her in the bed, trying to leave space between them. Leah appreciated he was respecting her space and what she'd said, but she needed to feel his warmth. She wrapped her arms around his back and tried to pull him closer. Conner chuckled.

"You're never going to move me."

"You could help you know."

"I was trying to be respectful."

"I know. Now move over here."

"Bossy, bossy."

Conner rolled over, so he was on his back. He put his arm around Leah and pulled her close. She rested her head on his chest and quickly fell asleep.

Leah's sleep was troubled by thoughts of the conversation she needed to have with Conner. She dreamed that he yelled, that he left, that he cried. Worst of all was when she dreamed he was happy.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'M SORRY!" Leah cried out.

Conner pulled her closer to him and smoothed her hair way from her face. Sweat beaded her forehead. Conner murmured soothing words in her ear until she calmed back down. He couldn't fall back asleep until he felt her breathing even out. He finally fell asleep hours later with the sound of her apologies ringing in his ears.

Leah woke up in the morning, feeling sticky and barely rested. Conner didn't look much better as she stared at him. While he was still asleep, dark circles were still very present under his eyes. Leah traced the outline of his jaw gently with one finger. She felt the pit patter of her heart against her chest as she looked at him. Conner's eyes fluttered open. He smiled as he realized Leah was still there next to him.

"Morning."

"Morning."

"You look tired."

"So do you."

"You kept me up a little bit."

"Oh. I didn't realize. I'm sorry."

"...It's okay."

"Why did you pause?"

"Just worried me a little bit."

"Why?"

"You kept saying sorry. In your sleep."

"Oh."

"Want to talk about it?"

"Yes, but first I'm going to shower and get breakfast going."

"Need a hand?"

Leah raised an eyebrow.

"I meant with breakfast."

Conner gave her a devilish smile which Leah knew meant he hadn't really. She'd let it slide today. With her own smile, she disappeared into the bathroom.

When she got out, she could smell coffee brewing. She quickly got dressed and headed down the stairs. Conner was just starting to throw some bacon into a pan. Leah watched silently as he moved around the kitchen like he belonged there.

"He fits right in, doesn't he?"

Leah jumped as her mother whispered in her ear.