5 Things I Learned From Move Out Day

5 Things I Learned From Move Out Day

Moving out is not as easy as it seems.

14
5 Things I Learned From Move Out Day
Hibernian Home Solutions

As a college freshman, you have no clue how harrowing moving out of your dorm can be until you have done it for the first time. Your checklist of things to do before you can leave seems doable and looks like it will take around two hours. Newsflash: you will never view this checklist the same way again. Here's a list of five mind-numbing problems you will encounter while packing.

1. Your dorm is a breeding ground for filth.

Welcome to the world of mold and dust. You discover that there is some strange, oddly colored spillage in the back of your refrigerator that you haven’t noticed before because neither you nor your roommates have thoroughly cleaned out the fridge since the last Ice Age. On top of that, you can finally see your desk for the first time since last August. As soon as you remove all of your papers and notebooks from it, freed tumbleweeds of dust and hair fly across the room. So that's why your allergies have been acting up.

2. The length of time it takes to pack up your dorm should be listed as cruel and unusual punishment.

You think that cleaning out one drawer will be easy. After all, it’s a relatively small drawer with few papers, some old coupons and various flyers that you know you’re going to throw away immediately and a couple of silly pictures of you and your friends from the Rainforest Cafe photo booth. Of course, the pictures send you into a brief period of nostalgia, but that's OK, right? Wrong. You look at the clock and realize that a single drawer has taken you an hour to "clean." At this rate, you are probably looking at a solid eight hours.

3. There is always one more thing to do, no matter how much packing you have done.

Finished packing your bedroom? Well, congratulations, but you cannot "peace out" yet. Actually, your roommates don't claim ownership to any of the kitchen items that you know you didn't buy. You figure that you have a friendly neighborhood ghost supplying the dorm with new utensils and pots.

4. You are not as strong as you thought you were.

You never took into account while packing that maybe, just maybe, you should not put that extra textbook in that box. Now, there is no way you can drag the box down the stairs to your car, let alone lift it. Your only solutions are to either call in a team of bodybuilders to haul your boxes and bins or eat raw spinach out of the can and channel your inner Popeye.

5. Your car is not going to carry all of that.

You are shocked when your car doesn’t hold all of your precious belongings like it did when you moved in during the fall semester. Guess what? You bought too much during the semester that you didn’t take into account before packing. Either you are going to have to throw out all of your clothes or drive with your suitcase in your lap. Good luck!