5 Stereotypes About Greek Life That Are Completely NOT True

"All Greek Life does is party"

5537

1. "All Greek life does is party."

Contrary to very popular belief this is indeed false. College kids in general party, it happens, but it's not fair to categorize a group of great college kids as party animals. The sole purpose for many sororities and fraternities is to celebrate a special bond together such as sisterhood or brotherhood. Another big aspect of Greek life is to support the org's philanthropy. A lot of people don't know fraternities and sororities each have their own organization that they volunteer with and fundraise for all year. This fundraising can take many hours and a lot of the times the philanthropy events take place on weekends as well, leaving no time to party and only time for the orgs to give back to their community. If anything, Greek orgs are some of the most generous organizations on campus.

2. You have to be good looking to “get in"

False. There are no ratings of photos or appearance during the behind the scenes of Rush week or recruitment like the movies. The only reason a photo is required during the joining process is so that active members can put a name to a face. During recruitment/rush, the only thing potential new members are rated on is who they are on the inside. There are so many different people involved in Greek life there is no point in being biased on choosing members based off looks nor is there any tolerance for it. We all come from different backgrounds, the only similarity in looks we have are our T-shirts we wear on bid day.

3. All of Greek life “hooks up" with each other

False. First off, yes, some sorority girls and fraternity boys do end up dating, and it's totally normal, that's just one way people meet like any other college student might meet someone in class and end up dating, totally normal. However, all of Greek life does spend a significant amount of time together whether it be at mixers/socials or supporting each other's philanthropy events. So, yes, sororities and fraternities do have a close bond but not the kind that a lot of people assume, we're all more just like one big family.

4. People in Greek life have low GPA's and get to stay in their org anyways

False. It is hard for all college students to maintain a high GPA, however, it is very important for those in Greek life to maintain their chapter's GPA in order to stay an active member. It is almost more crucial for those in Greek life to maintain a good GPA in order for them to be in good standing in their chapter, to hold positions and doing well in school is important as well. There are no special exceptions for those in Greek life, we're expected to do our best in classes just as much as any other student.

5. We're all the same

False. Sororities and fraternities are much like any other club, a group of people who share similar passions but come from different backgrounds. From my experience in my chapter I have noticed many girls with different majors, ages and cultures, and yet we all manage to be friends regardless of our differences. In fact, our differences are appreciated and are what makes our chapter so unique.