5 Reasons to Love Downton Abbey

5 Reasons to Love Downton Abbey

Because, what's not to love?

586
5 Reasons to Love Downton Abbey
PBS

I've recently been watching re-runs of one of my favorite Masterpiece Theatre productions—"Downton Abbey." I remember eagerly anticipating Sunday nights for the newest show, and now I get to look back at them anytime that I choose. Each time I do, I’m reminded of how great of a show it is. There are so many things to love about it!

1.) The Castle-- First off, the location is amazing. England is absolutely beautiful in all seasons. The countryside is my favorite—the rolling hills, the sheep grazing, the old castles and cottages. The castle of Downton Abbey is amazing and has become iconic. The interior is incredible. I love everything from the Great Hall to the kitchen downstairs.

2.) The Characters— All of the characters on "Downton," from the people upstairs to those downstairs, made the show what it was. Who didn’t enjoy seeing the blossoming romances between Bates and Anna? Or Branson and Lady Sybil? It was a pleasure to watch Lady Edith break free from her dull life to become the editor of Michael’s paper. It was heartbreaking to see Lady Mary loose Matthew, who seemed to make her a better person. I loved to watch Branson becoming part of the Crawley family and watch little Sybbie grow up. It was also nice to see Thomas Barrow’s character develop from a coldhearted man to someone who just wanted a place to fit in. And one of my favorite characters was Mr. Mason—I loved seeing his encouragement and love to Daisy, a girl who was very lost. There are so many characters’ stories to follow, and it is so interesting to watch them unfold!

3.) The Relationships—I sort of touched on this already with the characters involved in the show, but it was interesting to see how the characters’ relationships overlapped. It was heartwarming to see how much Lord and Lady Grantham cared about their staff, even though the staff was considered beneath their notice. Even Daisy, who started out as a kitchen maid, was noticed by the Granthams (even by the Dower Countess, whom I think wasn’t as coldhearted as she may have appeared). Over time, it seemed that the relationships between the staff and the family deepened. It’s hard not to become emotionally attached to the characters as you watch!

4.) The Time Period—I’m a real history buff, and this show does history right. The show’s historian makes sure that everything is kept accurate to the time period. I love seeing the costumes—Lady Mary and Lady Edith’s wedding dresses are some of my favorites! But there was so much more than just the costumes. The home furnishings were beautiful, from the dishes to the curtains. I also loved how they included the antique automobiles… especially once Mary’s second husband came into the series. The details made it so much more realistic to the time.

5.) The Dogs—I loved seeing Lord Grantham with his animals. It was so sweet to see how much he cared about Isis, going for walks with her, looking for her when she was lost, or letting her into his bed as she was dying. It was adorable to see his reaction to the puppy as well. The pets really became a part of the family. And they were so cute!

There are so many reasons to love "Downton Abbey"—the historical details, the costumes, the characters. It was a series that brought the past to the present, so that viewers could get a taste of the early 1900s. But what I love so much about it is the fact that although the people were from the past, they are relatable to today. It’s a series that I will watch over and over again!