5 Reasons Every Hoo Should Be Hyped For Bronco Mendenhall's Arrival

Out with the old and in with the new.

2
Desert News

On November 29, Virginia's football head coach Mike London resigned after six years with the Cavaliers. For a week, there was lots of speculation around Grounds about who the new coach would be, but athletic director Craig Littlepage announced that former Brigham Young head coach Bronco Mendenhall will be moving to Charlottesville. Here are five reasons why every Hoo should be hyped for his arrival.

1. His name is Bronco.

This goes without saying. With a name like Bronco, he has to be cool. It's also no coincidence that he shares his name with the No. 3 team in the NFL. Predictions of what's to come? Maybe.

2. Under Coach Mendenhall, BYU has been extremely successful.

After going from defensive coordinator to head coach, he took a three-year losing streak and turned it into an 11-season winning streak. In the 11 seasons he was head coach at BYU, Mendenhall lead the Cougars to 11 bowl games, winning six of them.

3. The BYU players love him.

The announcement that Mendenhall was leaving was made before BYU will play in the Las Vegas Bowl on December 19th. After the news came out, wide receiver Mitch Mathews said "we want to get that last win for this guy, send him out that way and pay tribute to him with how we play." The loyalty and respect his players show him is indicative of his coaching style and skill.

4. He respects the academic aspect of UVA.

He's quoted as saying he was impressed by Virginia's "high standards both academically and athletically." He recognizes that as a school, academics are extremely important to the students here, and Craig Littlepage referenced the fact that Mendenhall emphasizes "the overall development of student athletes".

5. People are comparing his hiring to Virginia's hiring of Tony Bennett.

Since the hirings of both Bennett and Mendenhall were surprising and sudden, people have been tentatively predicting that Mendenhall might help UVA football the way Bennett helped UVA basketball. Everyone at UVA knows and loves Tony Bennett, he's been leading the Cavaliers to victory for six years and has become a legend on Grounds. If Mendenhall can be the Bennett of football, we Hoos are in for a great season.