5 Reason Why Turning 21 Is More About Convenience Than Anything Else

No more age restrictions.

9
Andrew Larsen

Turning 21 is one of the most anticipated birthdays in many American men and women across the country. It is one of the last birthdays that truly marks your adulthood. No more age restrictions. Once you're 21 you are free of the worry of being charged with underage drinking because let's face it we all drink under the age of 21. So here are 5 reasons why turning 21 is more about convenience than anything else.

1. You can buy your own drinks.

FINALLY! After years of waiting inside a car while your recently turned 21-year-old friend or older brother or dad or creepy dude you asked to go back in while you waited for them outside the liquor store. Instead of bothering these people with buying your alcohol you can now do it yourself and help out an underage friend in need.

2. You can go through a checkout while your friend buys drinks for himself.

Have you ever had to step aside or go straight to the car while your friend or significant other buys drinks? I know I have. It all started one time when I 18. My brother and I were at Wal-Mart and he was going to buy a 6 pack and yes we were going to share it, but that's not the point. So when we get to the checkout the clerk asks for his ID and my ID so we gave them to her and the lady said that she can't sell this beer to my brother because I wasn't 21. Well... after you turn 21 you won't have to worry about that.

3. Your plans for "going out" change.

Instead of hitting up a house party with friends you go to the bar or try a drinking filled event. Like a zoo brew or a wine tasting. No longer are the days of loud music and fitting 50 people into an already small house.

4. You learn to social drink.

Social drinking usually won't happen until a young man or woman turns 21. Before that magical number drinking was about getting messed up and hooking up and doing it every single weekend. Now after a few years of being experienced and having a fair share of stories to tell you slow it down and try new drinks. You learn to love darker beer or at least learn to appreciate the lighter ones too. Social drinking is also a result of having to somehow drive home from the bar. You will learn your limits. An easy rule is the two drink limit. Enjoy two drinks then start sipping on the water. If you're bigger or can handle your drinks try three, but don't go any higher than that.

5. You can join your older friends at the bar.

When you happen to be the baby in your group of friends turning 21 can be a big deal. They can now include you in their nights of going to the bar or a pub crawl or any other drinking events. They won't have to feel awkward when you're the only one at dinner drinking water. Hell, YOU won't have to feel awkward while you drink water. Especially when you try to celebrate anything. I've personally sat through celebrating probably 5 birthdays and my own engagement without drinking at a restaurant or bar.

Overall turning 21 is a big deal, but it's more about the convenience than anything else.