5 Indianapolis Father-Daughter Date Destinations

How my dad and I spent Dudes' Day 2019!

197
I AM INDY sign

Recently, my Butler University sorority hosted Dude's Day, an annual fall event where my sisters and I invite our dads, grandfathers, older brothers, or other influential male figures to join us for a day in Indy at the campus—and in the city—we call home.

Last year, my dad and I went all-in with the chapter, attending the all-house brunch, taking pictures with friends at White River State Park, and ending the evening with a group at Punch Bowl Social. This year, however, I realized I wanted more 1-on-1 time with my dad so that I could truly show him my favorite parts of Indianapolis.

Here are a few of the highlights from our stupendous September father-daughter date.

1. Indianapolis Cultural Trail

Bike ride Downtown Indy

Personal Photo

Running through the 6 cultural districts of Downtown Indy, the Indianapolis Cultural Trail allows pedestrians, bikers, and scooter-ers alike to peruse through the best parts of the city. We saw the Soldiers & Sailors monument in the wholesale district, biked through a bumping Mass Ave, and found our way to Idle Park just outside of Fountain Square. The bike ride allowed my dad and I to take in the city for all it had to offer while enjoying the beautiful weather (and each other's company).

2. Condado Tacos

Lucy mural Condado Tacos

Personal Photo

Indianapolis is lucky enough to have 2 Condado Tacos locations: one on Mass Ave, and one in Broad Ripple. From the comic book-esque atmosphere, to the build-your-own tacos, my dad and I found great satisfaction in our experience—and learned we share a love for shrimp ceviche!

3. Fresco Italian Café

Smoothies clinking Fresco Italian Caf\u00e9

Personal Photo

Located along the White River Canal, my dad and I stopped at Fresco Italian Café on our bike tour to enjoy some Italian ice. We both chose to have our drinks blended, but many customers often opt for scoops. After ordering, we sipped our drinks at tables by the canal, watching gondolas float along the water and listening to 80's music coming from the speakers. The refreshing watermelon-lemon combination was the perfect midday pick-me-up.

4. Hotel Tango Artisan Distillery

Hotel Tango Artisan Distillery

Personal Photo

Though we didn't stay, my dad and I took a quick peak inside Hotel Tango—something that had been on my bucket list for some time. The rustic atmosphere offered the perfect amount of edginess to this Fletcher Place hot spot. Simply peering in at the venue was enough to convince me to come back someday as a customer.

5. Square Scoop Ice Cream

Square Scoop Fountain Square

Personal Photo

As a sucker for 80's music, the sign outside Square Scoop quite literally stopped my dad and me in my tracks. "Our ice cream will never give you up, let you down, run around, but it will 'dessert' you!" Named after its location, Square Scoop is a cute little shop in Fountain Square. The first time I rode through the Indy Cultural Trail, I saw a couple walking down the street holding scrumptious Square Scoop cones. They said it was a yummy place they like to stop for treats!

Acting as a tourist in my own city is one of my favorite hobbies. We ate, we exercised, and we laughed, all thanks to what the city of Indianapolis had to offer us. At the end of the day, my dad and I had full bellies and happy hearts.