5 Approved Desserts You Need To Overcome Your Christmas Cravings

Trying different desserts is like traveling with your tastebuds!

27
Photo by Miroslava on Unsplash

The holiday season brings so much together: family, friends, the joy of diving in and creating delicious baked goods and food. This is also a time of discovering and looking into how each culture celebrates the end of the current year and the welcoming the new. Here are some unique and mouth-watering desserts from different parts of the Italian Boot.

1. Cucidati

Sicilian Fig Cookies

http://randomactsofbaking.com/2017/12/01/10-irresistible-italian-christmas-cookie-recipes/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_tribes&utm_content=tribes

Produce:
[1 lb.] Figs, dried
1 Orange, juice, and zest
[1 cup] Seedless raisins
Refrigerated:
[2 Eggs,] large
Condiments:
[1 cup] Honey
Baking & Spices:
[2 1/2 cups] All-purpose flour
[2 1/2 tsp.] Baking powder
[1 tsp.] Cinnamon, ground
Colored sprinkles (optional)
[1 1/2 cups Powdered sugar
[1/4 tsp.] Salt
[1/2 cup] Sugar
[1/2 tsp.] Vanilla extract
Nuts & Seeds:
[1/2 lb.] Walnuts, toasted
Drinks:
[3 tbsp.] Orange juice, freshly squeezed
Dairy:
1 stick Butter, unsalted
[1/4 cup] Milk
Liquor:
[1/2 cup] Rum, dark

The dough: Pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor and add butter to the solution and repeat the process over again; only to further add eggs, vanilla extract, and milk in and process until a smooth dough is a result. Roll and shape flat and cut into four equal pieces, wrap in plastic, and store in the fridge until needed.

The filling: Use a food processor to pulse the figs, raisins, orange zest, orange juice, and walnuts until finely chopped. The mixture is then transferred to a bowl before the honey is stirred in with rum and cinnamon. Mix well. Now would be a good time to preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), while lining two baking sheets with parchment paper and setting them aside for our later steps.
Shaping: Working with individual dough pieces at a given time, we roll it out to approximately 8 x 8 inch (20x20cm) square and cut it in half. Brushing the bottom inch of each piece with cold water and spooning the filling from one end of each segment to another (in the center) in a thick ribbon. The moistened edge of the dough acts as a sealant when folded over the filling. Finally, we cut each strip into 1-inch (2.5cm) parts; transferring the segments of dough to the prepared baking sheet and repeat. Make sure to leave some space to grow while in the oven. When it's at last time to put the pastry to bake, be sure to save them in for 14-16 so their tops can turn a golden color; and left to cool for 5 minutes on the sheets when finished. Lightly coat the little guys with powdered sugar (or sugar) glaze once thoroughly cooled.
The icing: Use the cooling time to prepare the final preparations: the icing. Whisk some sugar and orange juice in a small bowl until smooth and dip the top of each cookie in the decadent glaze and top them off with some bright sprinkles.! Let the glaze harden before serving and enjoy all the fresh notes of citrus, tang, and pure bliss!

2. Struffoli

Honey Balls

Produce:
1 grated lemon peel zest

Refrigerated:

12 eggs

Condiments:
Honey

Baking & Spices:

[4 cups] flour

[2 cups] flour (if needed)

[2 tbsp.] sugar

[1 tsp.] salt

Liquid:
vegetable oil

Liquor:
[1 tbsp.] sambuca or anisette (optional)

Dough: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together 2 cups of flour, lemon zest, sugar, and salt (a mound of flour atop a with a mouth in the middle filled with the contents within it atop a cutting board will do). Knead of mix the mixture until a ball of dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Cut the dough into 4 equal-sized pieces. Lightly flour a cutting board or surface, roll out each piece of dough until it's approximately 1/4 inch thick. Cut each piece of dough into 1/2-inch-wide strips; cut each strip of pastry into 1/2-inch pieces and continue to roll each piece of dough until it resembles a hazelnut. Next, fill a large heavy-bottomed saucepan with vegetable oil a third of the way and heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 375°. (If you don't have a thermometer, testing using a sliver of bread will brown in about 3 minutes.) Finally, carefully drop the dough balls into the oil and leave them until a light, golden color appears (about 2 to 3 minutes). Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. (Repeat)

Honey Glaze: In a large saucepan, combine the honey, and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the fried dough and until coated in the honey mixture. Allow the mixture to cool in the pan for 2 minutes.

*For best results prepare entire dessert at least a day in advance and enjoy!

3. Aginetti

Lemon Drop Cookies

Refrigerated:

12 eggs
[1 cup] milk

Baking & Spices:

[2-4 cups] flour
[5 tbsp.] baking powder
[1 cup sugar
[2 tbsp.] lemon extract
[2 tbsp.] vanilla extract

Liquid:

Vegetable oil

Icing:

powdered sugarwater

This recipe is so easy to make as it only calls for a few ingredients.Once all of the ingredients are together one needs to pay attention to the consistency of the dough; if soft or mushy, add a cup of flour and firm it a bit. The fun part is making shapes like knots (as commonly known as) drops, or use a cookie cutter for holiday fun! Bake the cookies for approximately ten minutes, just until they start to get a bit golden for 250-375 F.

*Another variation is "chocolate" with a simple substitution of cocoa powder in place of the extracts. Either way, the cookie is not meant to be overly sweet.

Refrigerated:

12 eggs

[1 cup] milk

Baking & Spices:

[2-4 cups] flour

[5 tbsp.] backing powder

[1 cup] sugar

[1/2-1 cup] 100% unsweetened Cocoa Powder

[1 cup] Vegetable Oil

Icing (optional):

Powdered sugar

Water

4. Tiramisù

Tiramisù with cocoa powder garnish

http://www.ricettatiramisu.it/

Refrigerated:
[2 cups] mascarpone

5 eggs

Baking & Spices:
[1¼ cups] sugar

[300 g] (10.5oz) (savoiardi) sponge fingers/ladyfingers (they usually come in [200 g] (7 oz) packs)

Liquid:
[1¼ cups] espresso coffee (can be a bit sweetened)

Separate the eggs, placing all the yolks in one bowl and the whites of 3 eggs in another bowl. Discard 2 egg whites. Whisk the yolks with the sugar until you get a light, pale mousse. Add the mascarpone, and mix until you obtain a smooth cream. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. With a wooden spoon, fold the egg whites into the mascarpone mousse, with slow movements, working from the bottom of the bowl upwards. Choose a serving dish for your tiramisu. Line the bottom of the dish with a layer of half of the sponge fingers. Pour some coffee over the sponge fingers, enough to moisten them, but not to soak them completely.8) Place a layer of mascarpone mousse over the sponge fingers. Dip the remaining biscuits in the coffee and put another layer over the mousse. Cover the biscuits with another layer of mascarpone mousse. Decorate the top with grated plain chocolate or dust with cocoa powder.

*Refrigerate for four hours before serving.

5. Torta di Mandorle

Almond Cake

https://blog.giallozafferano.it/idolciditatam/torta-di-mandorle/

Produce :

1 grated lemon peel zest

Refrigerated:

3 eggs, lightly beaten

Condiment:

powdered sugar

Baking & Spices:

1 pkg. active dry yeast

[1 cup] blanched almonds

[1-1/2 cups] flour/self-rising flour

[3/4 cup] granulated sugar

Temperature Dependent:

[1/3 cup] warm water (110 F, 43 C)

[1/2 cup] butter, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Butter an 8-inch cake pan with a removable bottom. Stir yeast into warm water until dissolved. Chop almonds into very small pieces. In a bowl or food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine eggs, butter, lemon, zest, granulated sugar, flour, yeast mixture with almonds. Mix thoroughly. Pour batter into buttered pan. Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden. Dust powdered sugar when cooled and serve at room temperature.