40 Things Every Girl Should Actually Know When She Is 19
popular

28. Ignore those who talk down to you.

4506
Show And Tell

After coming across the article "40 Things A Girl Should Know How To Do By 19" article, I couldn't help but think some essentials were missing. Although she had some awesome points like "Take good notes in class" or "Live life to the absolute fullest," I was scratching my head at ones like "Blow dry your hair."

Being a 19-year-old, here is my list of what girls should know when they reach my age.

1. Never let a guy determine your self-worth.

2. Learn how to change a tire, or have AAA on speed dial.

3. Use social media wisely, people are watching you.

4. Friendships first, relationships second.

5. There is nothing wrong with staying in on a weekend night watching movies.

6. Dress in what makes you comfortable.

7. Reach out to others when you need help.

8. Ask questions - curiosity is a subtle gift.

9. Leave behind people who envy your success.

10. Attend religious gatherings like church because you want to, not because it "looks good."

11. Get a job. No matter how big or how small, earning your own money is a huge step in self-growth.

12. Have a parent or guardian introduce you to filing taxes.

13. People will do you wrong but it will make you stronger.

14. Stop comparing yourselves to Instagram models.

15. Try to be as active as you can, your body will thank you when you're older.

16. Stop doing these "fad diets" which depletes you of essential nutrients. Listen to what a nutritionist says about these.

17. Learn to tip accordingly.

18. Stop wasting your parents' money in college just to get your MRS Degree

19. Stop taking ADD/ADHD medicine unless you actually need it; The heart palpitations down the road will make you regret it.

20. Support your friends.

21. Read books even if it pains you to.

22. Learn to make meals for yourself, avoid the "wife material" nonsense that comes with cooking.

23. Stay calm during an emergency until you can get help accordingly.

24. Save your money and budget wisely.

25. Plastic surgery won't always make you look better.

26. Treat all races with respect no matter how you were raised.

27. Give your all in your work and studies.

28. Ignore those who talk down to you.

29. Learn to appreciate all that your parents/guardians have done for you.

30. Wearing no makeup does not make you any less beautiful.

31. Love your body, even if you've gained a couple pounds.

32. Safe sex is so important - please use protection.

33. Get annual exams. I know they're uncomfortable but you will begin to feel more comfortable at the OBGYN the more you go.

34. Use sunscreen - Spray tans over tanning beds any day (your skin will thank you)

35. Stop judging people right off the bat- most of the time they are completely different than what you expect.

36. Stop trying to impress/please others.

37. Learn CPR and signs of someone in distress (especially younger kids).

38. Know your strengths and weaknesses.

39. Learn when to be professional.

40. Never settle for less - you were put on this earth to do great things. Never think your gender will get in the way of that.