36 Life Lessons 2019 Taught Me About Being My Best Self

It was a memorable year, but I'm ready to move on from it.

254
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

2019. What a year! I accomplished so many things that made me proud of the person I am becoming. However, 2019 also ran me into a lot of obstacles that I thought would break me but didn't. I learned so many things about what it means to be my best self and I can't wait to keep improving in 2020:

Buying bigger clothes to fit my changing body is hard at first, but so, so freeing at the end. 

I had to do this this year, and wearing clothes that properly fit is so much more comfortable then wearing clothes that don't fit quite as well.

You don't have to stay uncomfortable, do everything you can to make yourself comfortable (relationships, pillows, underwear.... anything!)

Kind of along with the first lesson, buying new underwear is the best thing!

Unfollow people on social media who make you feel bad about yourself. 

Or people who clutter your feed.

Talk about your feelings with your friends. You weren't made to go through things alone. 

Be vulnerable and be honest.

Trust that everyone is inherently good, until they prove you wrong. 

Not everyone is out to get you; some people are just plain nice.

Stick up for yourself; you are your biggest advocate!

Don't do things you don't want to, even if others are persuading you to join in on the "fun."

There is a right and a wrong way to apologize. Learn the difference. 

My English class taught me this lesson this year through the book, "On Apology." What a great read!

It's okay to date multiple people because it helps you figure out what you like and what you don't like. 

Because how else are you going to figure it out?

Always use protection... no ifs, ands or buts. 

!!!!!!!!!

Trust your gut because it's almost always right. 

Don't ignore it.

Don't let your head get ahead of your heart. 

You'll get yourself into trouble here.

Jesus saves us from more than we recognize. 

You just need to reflect to learn what he has saved your from.

Heartbreak does not last forever. You will be okay again. 

You will be okay. Not now. But soon.

Say yes to spontaneous adventures with friends!

You never know how much fun you'll have.

Find your people, and love them fiercely. 

Don't take anyone for granted.

You don't have to like someone, but you do have to love them. 

I learned this from our pastor's wife, and it is one of the greatest lessons I learned this year.

Accomplish at least one thing everyday- even if it's as simple as making your bed. 

Just the littlest thing can turn your bad day into a good day.

Don't take money for granted, but don't be overly stingy. 

Also, don't judge others for how they choose to use their money.

Let the little things go. Ask yourself if it will matter in two weeks. Odds are, probably not. 

It's just not worth the worry.

When in doubt, PRAY!

Jesus saves, ALWAYS.

Cooking is such a fun hobby when you live alone. 

Pinterest is my favorite place to get inspiration!

Get active when you are in a bad mood. 

Going to the gym or walking outside are such mood-boosters.

Don't be afraid to do things by yourself. 

I went on a solo-tour in Copenhagen over the summer, and met some of the best people!

Reach out when you need human interaction. 

You have to do the reaching out though. Trust that others will help you.

Buying a new comforter and new pillows are life-changing. 

And it makes falling asleep at night that much easier.

Love where you are in your journey. 

My pediatrician always tells me when I worry about my health. Just embrace where you are in your journey.

The only thing holding you back from confidence is YOU!

Just do it! Just be confident!

New pens are so, so fun!

And so fun to write with!!

Invest in good-smelling candles. 

These are great after a long day of school and all you want to do is relax.

Don't let technology interfere with you being present. 

And don't be on your friend when you are out with people. This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Gossip gets you nowhere. 

So don't do it! Don't start it, don't engage in it, don't be any part of it!

Just be KIND!

This will get you so far in life!

Be happy for other people's accomplishments, and don't doubt your own in the process. 

Once again, embrace your own journey!

Read a book before you go to sleep at night. 

This helps you get away from your cell phone and get your brain ready for sleep.

It's okay to say no. It's also okay to ask for help. 

This is another big lesson I've actually implemented this year!!

God has a plan for you and it is GREAT!!

I could scream this from the rooftops till the end of my days. Trust in Him!!

Overall, this year taught me to rely on God more than myself, and I couldn't be more grateful for all the things this one lesson has taught me.

I can't wait to see what 2020 brings!