22 Genuine And Purposeful Intentions For My 22nd Year

A year to remember.

74
"One day, you're 17 and you're planning for someday. And then quietly, without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life." - One Tree Hill

This quote just about sums it up.

For me, college has come and gone in the blink of an eye. Out of nowhere, I turned 22 and started making decisions for my future. While it's been terrifying, there's also something really cool about it.

At 22, I'm the same person I've also been, but also very different than I used to be. I dedicate myself to what I like to call the two "G's" ― growth and grace. One thing that has never changed about me is my Type-A personality. Organization and compartmentalization is my forte. When I turned 22 I, like most Type-A people, made a list.

22 is the age we all dream about at eight-years-old, and now that I'm finally embarking on this journey, these are the 22 intentions I wrote down very quickly and without thinking too much. While some of them are direct, detail-oriented tasks, others are more broad attributes that I intend to discover and maintain.

Are you in your 22nd year? Are you in a season of growth? See if these intentions could align with your own!

1. Hey, God. 

Growing closer to God and nurturing my faith is a special intention for me this year.

I can feel him at work in my life, and because of that, I feel little worry and lots of happiness.

I intend to dive into this.

2. Bye, Social Media. 

I intend to remove myself from social media as much as possible. It's a black hole in many ways.

3. Distraction-Free Quality Time. 

I intend to focus on quality time with the people who matter most ― no phones, no distractions.

4. Hey body, how are ya feeling?  

I want to be more aligned with my body and take care of it accordingly.

When it tells me to slow down, I will listen.

5. Hey mind, how are ya feeling? 

Emotions.

6. Hometown. 

I intend to reconnect with my hometown and embrace what it has to offer.

7. Is this going to make me happy? 

I intend to ask this before making decisions.

8. Keep listening to that gut of yours - it's always been right. 

I want to listen to my gut and follow my heart. It has never, and I mean never, steered me wrong.

9. Bank Account, You Good?

Y'all know us college students are BROKE.

I intend to earn an income and begin saving.

10.  Hustle 

More than ever, I hope to work as hard as possible. Dreams don't come true without hard work.

11.  Good music. 

I want to listen to nothing but the best music out there.

Different genres. Different artists. Good messages.

12.  Coffee Addiction 

I intend to drink lots of coffee.

Maybe start plans for my dream coffee shop?

13.  Generosity. 

I plan to pay it forward as much as possible, in many different ways.

14.  Stream-line. 

I want to simplify my life ― clothes, my room, my computer files.

I am easily the kind of person that works with 15 tabs open at a time. I want to be more intentional and focus on one or two things at a time, while also accomplishing bigger goals.

15.  Travel to at least three new places. 

I want to experience new environments and learn about new things.

Nashville. New Orleans. Montana.

16.  Dedication. 

I want to remain dedicated to my friends, family, and myself.

17.  Openness. 

I want to open myself up to the possibilities of life.

18.  Graduate School. 

I plan to earn a Masters degree in the field I love.

19.  Love. 

What does it mean?

20.  Learn first, then teach. 

I want to learn as much as I can and teach those around me ― particularly my future students.

21.  Connect with a new community. 

School community. Coffee house community. Any community.

22.  Rediscovery. 

I plan to rediscover myself, while also staying grounded.

I cannot wait for this 22nd trip around the sun.