21 Things I Learned At 21

21 Things I Learned At 21

Only some of them are about drinking.

12
21 Things I Learned At 21

Every year, the night before my birthday, I reflect upon my year and make a list of lessons learned during that time. I am a true believer that reflection inspires growth. Whether you are not yet 21, currently in the magical age, or a few years removed, here is a compilation of some of my experiences and what they taught me.

1. Your true friends will make you a priority without excuses. If you aren't making the time to be with them, there is a reason for that.

2. McDonald's employees do not like it when you try to walk through the drive through at 2:00 a.m. No matter how much you accuse them of judging you on your lack of car, socioeconomic class, gender, or race, they will not serve you.

3. Food tastes better while taking a bubble bath, especially if you drank an entire bottle of champagne by yourself.

4. Yoga isn't always the answer, but it is 99 percent of the time.

5. "Nice guys finish last" is just what people say as an excuse to either be d*cks or associate with them.

6. When you know, you know.

7. Everyone deserves love. Everyone.

8. Not everything will be perfect, and that's okay. Breathe.

9. You have a 100 percent completion rate of every day so far and that is definitely something to celebrate.

10. You don't have to have just one home.

11. If they don't value your happiness, don't value their opinion.

12. You don't know what you don't know and neither does anyone else.

13. Adapt, don't change.

14. Legally drinking is fun, paying for it sucks.

15. Know what your values are and be as true to them as possible. Have the integrity to respect yourself.

16. Distance may make the heart grow fonder, but it also sucks.

17. Show up. Show up for yourself, for your responsibilities, and for the community you have chosen to be a part of.

18. Embrace diversity and adversity.

19. Special does not have to be extravagant.

20. Make a life but live there, too.

21. Let your spirit lead and trust that your instincts have your best intention at heart.