The upcoming new year

2019, Bring It On.

It's okay not to know what to expect.

30
Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash
Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

New year, new me right? Not quite.

As the new year approaches, everyone begins to think of what they are going to change or devote more time towards as part of their New Years resolution. While this is productive and can be beneficial, it's not necessary. Just because it's a new year doesn't mean you absolutely have to make changes to your life. Society has implanted this idea in our minds, but we need to take a step back and realize all the good things we each have in our lives. If you are happy where you're at right now, why change anything? A new year's resolution can be to continue the path that you're on or build onto the happiness you have right now. It doesn't necessarily have to be a change, but it can be a goal or continuation of a current situation in your own life. Personally, I make a list of my individual goals for the new year so I can physically see what my priorities are and what is most important to me. This may include things I want to change, things I want to continue to do, and things I want to build upon. Each new year I aim to better myself academically, socially, physically, and mentally in whatever way I can.

2019 is a year I've had in my mind for a while now. It is a year that will bring many changes, and I know that I need to be prepared to roll with the punches and be positive in wherever life takes me. 2019 is a blank slate that has many different paths, and I am unsure of which one I will take at this point. My Type A, organized planner personality loathes the unknown and not having a specific plan for the upcoming year. However, I've begun to accept that this is okay, and everything will work out in the end. I've started to believe more in fate and that the course of my life will play out the way it should without intervention. This has been difficult for me but also shown me the excitement in the unexpected. There is something to be said for the unknown, and its ability to turn into the best thing you never expected.

My 2019 yields many unknowns both good and bad, but I'm beginning to see that what I classify as "bad" can be turned good or positive with a little change in perspective. Whether you made new years resolutions or not, make it a point to enter the new year with a positive outlook and happy vibes. It will rub off on others and bring you even more happiness and joy.