20 Things I Have Learned in my 20 Years of Existence

As I have just turned 20, here are the life lessons that I will treasure forever, the mottos that will grow me into who I am meant to be.

35

1) Everything truly does happen for a reason

2) Do the things that scare the crap out of you--those things will make you grown more than anything else

3) Learn from pain and do not make the same mistakes

4) Family does not equal blood relationships

5) Follow your heart in regards to your passions and the rest will fall into place

6) Don't worry too much about what others think--do the things you love, stand up for them, and be proud of them

7) Vulnerability is not weak--vulnerability is strength and how you are able to really connect with those around you

8) The little, tiny moments you didn't think mattered will be the most impactful moments of your life

9) Focus on your "a-ha" moments and let that be a constant reminder of why you do what you do

10) Know when to let people go. It is okay to grow apart or to cut people off when they are not healthy for you--it does not mean you are evil or wrong

11) Be honest about your feelings--do not sugarcoat how you feel or the intsensity of a situation for you

12) Reflect on the past, but do not let it consume you--keep growing and keep trudging forward, even if it seems impossible in moments--you are stronger than you think

13) Connect to music, songs, people, places--the world-- as much as possible, and never let that connection go away because it will always be your drive

14) Don't let your career and personal aspirations cut you off from those you love--work on balancing the "glasses" of responsibility and love and connection as much as you can

15) Let music be the thing that saves you every once in a while, sit in your sadness, but then get up from it and keep moving on--this does not mean you are weak, but that you need a break. Give yourself that break.

16) People who should have been there and loved you but didn't do not define you--are are loveable and worthy of love

17) Be the actual change you want to see in the world--post unedited filter, be honest about your flaws and mental illnesses, show the world all of you and it and its inhabitants will show you all of themselves

18) Please, do not stop writing. Do not be afraid to write the stuff that scares you, write your truth whatever that is--own it and embrace it and share it. Do not let yourself ever get too down that you stop writing, it will save you in so many ways.

19) The universe has an agenda...and you need to let it be and stop messing with it. Let nature work its magic, and everything will be okay.

20) Never let the evil in the world stop you from seeing the good in people and the good that can come out of connection and community. Be that connecting piece for others to see the world not in black and white, but shades of imperfectly perfect gray.