20 Things All Comm Studies Majors Hate To Hear

8
natcom.org

Communication studies is an academic discipline that deals with the study of human communication, there are many different emphasis within the field, like public relations, journalism, electronic media, social influence, the list could go on. One thing that is true for every field there are some things we are all tired of hearing.

1. Communication..? That’s cool…

It is pretty cool, actually.

2. What is that, what will you do?

It's a secret apparently.

3. So basically you are just learning how to talk to people, right?

It's more than just that.

4. Everyone already knows how to communicate, though.

If they did I wouldn't be needed.

5. So, are you planning on being a news anchor?

The best in the business too.

6. You can be a publicist for *insert someone famous*

What are they famous for?

7. You have a class about film analysis? I love films!

Micro-analyze every part of the film then come talk to me about how much you love it.

8. Social media isn’t hard, so how hard can the class be?

Try communicating effectively in 140 characters or less.

9. Communication theory can’t be that hard.

Yes, moonlighting as a philosopher is a walk in the park.

10. I wish my major was as easy as yours.

Please tell me how writing back-to-back-to-back papers is easy.

11. You are supposed to be a people person, so why are you awkward?

Public speaking is still as hard for me, as it is you.

12. So, you’re a Comm major because another major was too hard right?

Nope, this was my first choice, believe it or not.

13. You know this isn’t a practical field, right?

IT IS PRACTICAL.

14. All your work is done in group projects, so it can’t be that hard.

You try working with four other people that are just as busy.

15. All you do is creative writing for your classes.

Proving that some object represents the hierarchy isn't easy.

16. ... can you help me with my essay?

No, I can't I have my own to write.

17. Can you even get a real job?

Yes, the ones you wish you had.

18. Don’t you know it’s a dying profession?

No, it's not, it's in high demand.

19. It will be hard to make money.

To some people, money isn't everything.

20. Do you even have friends outside your major?

Why yes I do, but us Comm majors like to stick together.

Whenever anyone hates on your field of study, remind them that Ellen DeGeneres, Denzel Washington, and Mark Harmon all majored in communications. It’s all about what you make it.