14 Things That People With Anxiety And Depression Would Like Everyone To Know

Please understand that I am not my disorder, even if I struggle with it.

88
unitevamag.com

I know that sometimes dealing with anxiety and depression can be hard, and most times we do not ever say what we really need to or ask for something when a friend offers to help, but here are a few things that those of us who suffer from anxiety would like significant others, friends, and family to know to better understand us.

1. I cannot deal with this on my own sometimes, so please be there for me when I need you.

I have bad days just like everyone else does; however, please do not be upset if it is hard for me to do much sometimes because my disorder gets to be too much.

2. I'm trying.

It may not seem like I am trying at all or I am just taking two steps backwards every single time that I take a step forward, and sometimes that is just how it goes with depression and anxiety. I try every day and yes, it is always hard, but I am always trying.

3. Often we will try and hide our disorder because we are ashamed that it is there and we do not want to burden someone else with these feelings.

Sometimes when we do not wish for the sympathy from someone else, we will push everything away and keep the feelings to ourselves and not allow anyone to see us the way that we are in those moments.

4. It's OK that you do not always understand what I am going through because sometimes I do not understand it either.

Sometimes it is hard to understand why someone is depressed or anxious, and most times it is hard for the person dealing with it to understand as well.

5. If I'm having a panic attack or an anxiety attack, please ask if there is anything that I need.

Sometimes I just need someone to sit and talk to me for a little bit and sometimes I am too scared to ask for that.

6. Depression and anxiety are not always logical.

There is often no real reason why a person becomes depressed or anxious. Sometimes it just happens and they don't even know a reason why.

7. Please be there for me to support me.

Sometimes all you need is to know that someone has your back and supports you even in the worst times with the disorders. That helps a lot.

8. Sometimes nothing is wrong. Sometimes depression and anxiety just happen.

They aren't always preventable and sometimes they come out of nowhere. We cannot always explain it.

9. Sometimes we cannot manage to leave the house because it is just too hard.

Please know that it's not that I do not want to hang out with you, because I do, but sometimes it gets to be too hard.

10. Thank you for all of the times you check on me.

It means a lot to have you checking up on me from time to time. It means and shows that you care.

11. It would be awesome if you could learn about the disorders and gain more knowledge with them.

Gaining knowledge is the best way to start to understand the way that our minds work and to allow yourself to help us when we are in those mindsets.

12. I still love you and care about you even if I am unable to love myself.

Even on the days that I cannot love myself or it is hard to love myself, I will always love you. Because whoever says that you cannot love someone else before you love yourself is wrong.

13. No matter how hard some days are for me, or it feels like I have completely given up, I will still try my best with your support.

I do not give up that easy. Please do not think that I will.

14. I am not my disorder.

Yes, I have a disorder that makes my days hard, long, and taxing; however, just because there is a part of my mind that is imbalanced, it does not mean that it will consume me fully and make me the disorder. I will always be my own person even if I have the disorder. I will never fully ever be the disorder. Please understand that.