13 Top Documentaries Of The 2000s

13 Top Documentaries Of The 2000s

Netflix, chill, and be informed.

99
13 Top Documentaries Of The 2000s
TechnoBuffalo

Documentaries are enjoyable, informative, and important forms of art. They can transform things like history, science, nature, political, and economic issues into reality in diverse ways. As a college student, documentaries are important source of gaining knowledge in a fun way. Sometimes, it's a bit more colorful than sitting in a lecture. Documentaries shed light on tough realities in a raw sense that are oftentimes disregarded by the media. I am going to share 13 (in honor of Halloween - my favorite holiday) documentaries that I feel are some of the most monumental of the 2000s. Here are some influential documentaries for the college kid who wishes to become informed in an informal way. For anyone who has a sweet tooth for TV but wishes to be educated in the meantime. For anyone holed up in your room due to rain, snow, or sickness. Oh, and luckily you can find most of these on Netflix. So, go Netflix and chill and become informed.

Side note: I would have done summaries for each documentary, but it’s midterm week and no one has time for that.

1. 13th (2016)

My personal favorite, so I'll give it the first spot on this list. It’s about mass incarceration in the USA “From Slave to Criminal with One Amendment.”

2. Audrie & Daisy (2016)

3. Hot Girls Wanted (2015)

4. Damnation (2004)

For the environmentalist in you.

5. Virunga (2014)

6. Making a Murderer

7. Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2014)

8. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about his Father (2008)

***Disclaimer: Stock up on kleenex for this one.

9. Hiroshima (2005)

10. The Cove (2009)

I love dolphins. If you do too, you should watch this.

***Disclaimer: Viewer discretion is advised if you love dolphins too much.

11. Blackfish (2013)

12. Food, Inc. (2008)

I know it’s an older one and everyone talks about it, but seriously, if you haven’t already seen it yet, see it. Because if you don’t know, now you know.

13. The Act of Killing (2012)

“War crimes are defined by the winner. I’m a winner.”

Side note, not on Netflix.

***There is a follow-up documentary called “The Look of Silence (2014)” and it’s incredible. Oppenheimer is a magical story-teller.

*** A final side note: if Netflix is not something you have access to, topdocumentaryfilms.com and filmsforaction.org are my top sites to stream free documentaries, and they have some really good ones. One of my favorite documentaries of all time is a 3 part series called “Human.” Here is a teaser. Get ready for some tears.