12 Things That Are Normal To Do In Theatre, But Not In Real Life

"An inside look into the wondrous Thespian-Lesbian way of life."

81
Wordpress.com

The stage has given me an open environment for me to be who I want to be and express what I feel, as well as self-discover and learn to appreciate others and their respective views. To me, theatre is much more than simply memorizing lines, putting on a costume, and then stepping into a scene. You discover insight about others by depicting stories or scenes about love, our life, and our human condition. Theatre is infectious and is something I never want to stop doing. With that, here are some instances that have happened in the theatre that are probably concerning to the real world, but things I crave.

1. Undress during a heartfelt conversation

You just get so used to undressing in front of many people for quick changes that stopping a conversation just seems silly.

2. Break into song

Yes, we will break out into song, and we crush it every single time.

3. Complain about your "real life"

Who cares about real life when you are surrounded by your people and everything is dramatic?

4. Geek out over your favorite shows and actors and all that jazz

Lin-Manuel Miranda you are a theatre god.

5. Quote lines from previous shows because they are still great

If you don't incorporate your lines into your life, are you even a thespian?

6. Ridiculously over exaggerate a story for effect

#Acting.

7. Manhandle each other

You spend restless hours and days with your cast mates. Sometimes this can lead to very affectionate proceedings to relieve tension. In these long nights, quick changes, and theatre escapades, you get used to having no boundaries. 'it is all fun and lightherted, and brings your cast closer together.

8. Fail

I have had my fair share of mishaps on stage, but one thing the stage has taught me is to roll with the punches no matter how upset you are. More than half the time, the audience does not even realize you made a mistake, so just keep going. The stage is a great place to live and learn that it is okay to mess up sometimes.

9. Wear stage make-up

While it is normal to wear stage make-up in the theatre, wearing it outside in real life can be quite interesting. Stage makeup is meant to be heavier, both in texture and pigment. This allows the makeup effects to be seen from afar, which is typically the case during a stage production. So wearing this outside may provoke some awkward glances and concerned looks.

10. Be honest

Your Director is going to be honest with you if miss something or drop a line. While we sometimes do not want honesty, and do not want to admit when we mess up, honesty will help you grow as an actor over time.

11. Be silly

The theatre is a great place to express yourself and be your true self without judgement. It is okay to be passionate and professional on stage, but is also okay to have fun and create memories with your cast as well.

12. Be yourself

The theatre is a free space to express your true self. Embrace it!