12 North Carolina Day Trips To Make Your Spring Break More Adventurous

No plans for Spring Break? How about a day trip to Washington, N.C.?

300

It's finally here -- Spring Break! If you're like me, this break probably crept up without you even realizing it. By the time you looked up from studying for midterms and writing papers to realize how close it was, it was probably too late to make substantial plans.

If you're staying in North Carolina over this break, here are 12 fun, adventure-filled day trips you can take to ensure your Spring Break is anything but boring:

1. Washington

Located just 20 miles east of Greenville, N.C., Washington is a cute, picturesque town in North Carolina that's perfect for a day trip. Get coffee, walk along the pier and go antique shopping -- but don't forget to take pictures!

2. Pilot Mountain

Pilot Mountain is a nice, quiet place to walk around enjoying spring, hike or just relax. This would make a perfect day trip this Spring Break.

3. NoDa Neighborhood - Charlotte

NoDa is an artsy, hippy district right outside of Uptown Charlotte. With paint covering every building and music filling the street, there's so much to awaken your creative side in this town.

4. Chapel Hill

Who wouldn't want to visit the campus of the reigning national champions? But, seriously, Chapel Hill is beautiful and there's so much to do. I might be a little biased, but a day trip to Chapel Hill is never a bad idea.

5. Raleigh

History, science, art -- you name it, Raleigh probably has a museum for it. The best part? Most of these places have ~free~ admission!

6. Asheville

With the Biltmore Estate, Thomas Wolfe House, Folk Art Center and so much more, there's no lack of adventure in this North Carolina town.

7. Boone

If you love nature and being outdoors, Boone is the N.C. town for you. Drive up for the day -- hike, go whitewater rafting, or just wander around and enjoy this scenic college town.

8. Cape Hatteras

Cape Hatteras is a quiet beach town with lighthouses, wild horses, ferries and fishing that are sure to keep you occupied for the day.

9. Cherokee

Cherokee is a town located on the western edge of North Carolina. It's true to its name as it preserves the culture of native Cherokee Indians through live demonstrations and museums. Who says you can't learn something over break?

10. Wilmington

If you're a fan of One Tree Hill, this town is no stranger to you. Drive to Wilmington for the day, check out all the One Tree Hill locations and, if that's not your thing, there's tons of good seafood and an aquarium!

11. New Bern

New Bern is an adorable town in N.C. with tons of history and character. For such a small town, there's a ton of fun stuff to do. There's a firemen's museum, Governor's Palace and a waterfront park.

12. Asheboro

Shameless plug because my hometown is full of amazing things to explore. Downtown, there's antique shopping, some of the best food you'll ever eat and amazing coffee shops. Asheboro is also home to the N.C. Zoo, which is lots of fun for all ages!

Time may have gotten away from you this semester, and you may not have any plans made for Spring Break. But, with these 12 day trips in North Carolina to choose from, your break should be filled with fun and adventure.