11 Things You Shouldn't Talk About On The First Date

Seriously, just don't talk about them.

597
PBS

Going on a first date with someone can be intimidating. You may not know exactly what you should or shouldn’t talk about, how you should act, what to wear, what to expect, etc. Stuff you should talk about includes: your hobbies, goals, interests, music and food you like, most things are acceptable, really. Make sure you ask your date questions, too. Be yourself and just have a good time. There are quite a few things you don’t need to be talking about, however, which are:

1. Kids

It’s a safe bet to not mention the word "kid" whatsoever on a first date. If you have kids, want kids, just…don’t talk about it yet.

2. Your Future With That Person

Questions like: “Where do you see this going?,” or, “Do you want a boyfriend/girlfriend?,” are a bit too soon and put your date on the spot.

3. Prior Felonies (If Any)

If you’ve been to jail or just gotten in trouble with the law, I wouldn’t announce that.

4. Family Problems

Complaining about your siblings and dissing your mom isn’t cute. Your date probably wouldn’t know how to react or what to say.

5. Religion

Kind of a touchy subject for some people, topics like that are more suited for serious conversations down the road.

6. Your Grades

Whether you’ve finished school or are still in it, talking about your 4.0 is unnecessary at this point, and so is informing the person that you flunked out.

7. Friend Drama

It’s best to leave the person out of it. Your date might think you get involved in a lot of drama and issues, which might scare him or her away.

8. Exes

Leave your prior relationships out of your new ones. It doesn’t look good to talk about your previous lover, it shows you still care. Trust me, no one wants to here about how psycho your ex was.

9. Income/Money

Talking about how much or how little money you make isn’t really first date material. If mentioned that early on, it could come off as bragging and more than you would want it to mean.

10. Crazy Party Stories

If you told your date about something you weren’t too proud of that happened at a frat party, he or she probably won’t get a good impression of you right away.

11. Politics

Usually topics like these stir up arguments and someone will start to get defensive. Sometimes it’s hard not to bring it up because it’s all over the media, but save it for another time. I mean, what if they support Trump?