11 Reasons To Watch The West Wing

11 Reasons To Watch The West Wing

A fictional presidential administration can help provide hope in our currently upsetting political climate.

528
11 Reasons To Watch The West Wing
Today

In our current political climate, it can be difficult to feel passionate or even hopeful about the American political system. Enter The West Wing, a 90s political drama that chronicles the presidential administration of Jed Bartlet. The show not only follows Bartlet as the president, but it also shows the lives and struggles of his West Wing staff. Somewhat based on President Bill Clinton's administration, the show often finds a way to weave in the current political events of the time. While the episodes tend to end happily because it is fiction, seeing politics through a more positive lens can help to make politics in 2016 just a bit more hopeful. Here are 11 reasons why you should be watching the West Wing in 2016

1. President Bartlet is a president with strong convictions and an even stronger love of his country.

2. CJ Cregg is the best damn Press Secretary the White House could ask for.

3. Toby Ziegler is one of the most relatable people ever.

4. Seeing all of the behind the scenes political work makes me wonder what it's actually like to be in politics.

5. The West Wing has absolutely one of the best responses to a woman who claims homosexuality is a sin.

enter the President:

6. People have the best reactions to BS.

7. Controversial topics like abortion are given the perspective and care that they deserve.

8. It explores difficult political processes, like replacing a Supreme Court Justice.

9. There are fantastic moments and great one liners.

10. It's a show filled with strong female characters and feminist tones.

11. The characters feel real and human, and you can't help but feel their successes and losses.