10 Underrated Christmas Songs to Listen to This Year

Here are some songs to add to "Jingle Bells" and "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" on your Christmas playlist.

14
SparkleofNature.com

Many years of working in a mall have taught me just how overplayed most Christmas songs are. If I never have to hear "Baby, It's Cold Outside" or "Last Christmas" ever again, I'll be happy. A few of my favorites happen to be very little known, so I'd like to spread the Christmas cheer.

10. Twelve Days to Christmas - She Loves Me 2016 Broadway Cast

While not technically a Christmas song, it is about the stress of workers in a parfumerie during the Christmas rush. Customers go from being timely shoppers to being rushed and stressed. The music gets faster as the days dwindle and as a mall worker, the entire production of this song cracked me up.

9. Up on the Housetop - Gene Autry

People do know this song, but it's rare that I ever hear it on the radio or in stores. My first memory of this song was singing it in a preschool pageant, so it holds a special place in my heart.

8. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy- Pentatonix

Now this is a song that everyone knows, but this version is just way too impressive to pass up. Pentatonix is an amazing acapella group and this song shows off the best of their abilities. In fact, all 3 of their Christmas albums are phenomenal.

7. Nuttin' for Christmas- Barry Gordon

My favorite Christmas song hands down. This is definitely a known song, but I feel like it isn't half as big as all of the obvious "Jingle Bells" and co. It makes me smile every time, even though the kid is kind of a total brat.

6. O Holy Night- Lea Michele

You probably know this song, but Lea Michele's version is known pretty much only by Gleeks. I'm not the biggest fan of the religious Christmas songs, but this version gives me chills every. single. time. Lea's voice is breathtaking.

5. Underneath the Tree- Kelly Clarkson

Kelly is just awesome. This original song is poppy and catchy and is definitely a descendant of "All I Want For Christmas is You." Easily one of the best original Christmas pop songs in the last few decades.

4. Christmas Just Ain't Christmas Without You- Matt Wertz

Matt Wertz is one of the most underrated singers in general. He creates some beautiful pop songs and his Christmas cd, "Snow Globe" is full of adorable original songs. This is one to add to your rotation this year!

And here is where we enter the *super* obscure Christmas songs that you would only know if you had the Christmas specials on VHS in the 90s.
Maybe I'll spark some awesome memories...

3. We Need a Little Christmas - Muppet Family Christmas

The opener to the Muppet Family Christmas special is all of the Muppets in a pick up truck driving to Fozzie's mom's house. They're cheerily singing this song while it snows. It's the first time I had ever heard this song and it was years before I ever heard it outside of this special.

2. Together at Christmas - The Christmas Toy special

Also a Jim Henson special, The Christmas Toy gathered a bunch of sentient toys (think a Toy Story precursor) to sing this song at the end of the movie. I don't think this song was ever in anything else, but since I watch this special every year, it's nostalgic for me.

1. Hip Hop Noel - 12 Days of Christmas Sing Along Songs

Disney put quite a few "Sing Along Songs" videos out with Mickey, Minnie, and company. The Christmas outing had this gem of a song to try and jazz up their selections. It is unbelievably super cheesy looking back on it, but as a kid? It was my favorite. All the elves and reindeer want is a few minutes to have a dance party because they've been working so hard! Pure 90s at its best.

And because I literally don't think I can resist....

Bonus Song: Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays- NSYNC

If you haven't heard this, you probably live under a rock, but it's not a Christmas songs list without this song! It makes me happy and it's a tiny piece of pop perfection. So here it is anyway. Enjoy!