10 Tips To Rock Any Interview

10 Tips To Rock Any Interview

From a self-proclaimed Interview expert.

163
10 Tips To Rock Any Interview

Seeking jobs, admissions and any other important position usually require Interviews. During those nerve wracking 10-30 minutes, you are expected to show the interviewer(s) just how perfect you are for the position.

Whether over the phone, video calls or in person, these tips will help get you through your interview seamlessly and show that you are very qualified for the position you want. As an expert on taking interviews and getting the position, I’m going to share what worked for me and hope it works for you!

1. Dress semi-formal

For most positions that you’ll be going in for, the interviewer doesn’t actually care about how you’re dressed. Gone are the days of stereotyped hiring. If you’re going to visible, dress in a that fine line between casual and formal.

Too formal and you end up looking pretentious and over-dressed. Too casual and you look like you’re not taking it seriously.

2. Try to be interesting

Emphasis on try. You don’t have to be pretend to be someone you’re not though. Just answer any questions with as much enthusiasm as you can muster.

This is especially necessary for phone interviews. Be bright and bubbly!

3. Be slightly humorous

Laughter is always helpful for an interview. If you can make your interviewer laugh or smile at your humor, then that is an IN. It shows that you are easy to be around and also good company.

4. Make eye contact

Not the creepy stalker eye contact thing. For 75% of the time, make sure you’re looking at their faces.

If there’s more than one person, divide your attention between them. Make sure you don’t look away too quickly.

5. Be Prepared to Answer Questions

Nothing screams unprofessional like stumbling over your words and taking too much time to think. Before you get there, have the interview staple questions down.

Eg: “Why are you the most qualified for this position?”, “What are your strengths and weaknesses?”, “What qualities do you possess that you feel are most useful?”, etc.

6. Prepare 3-5 Questions to Ask Them

At the end of the interview, you’ll always be asked if you have any questions for them. Make sure you have those questions prepared beforehand.

Even if you really don’t have any questions, think of good questions that you already know the answer to. It makes you look more interested in the position.

7. Avoid Sentence Fillers

“Like”, “Literally” and “Umm” are unacceptable. As much as you want to let them escape, hold back from saying them. They make you sound as if you don’t know what to say.

Replace “Like” with words of similar meanings: for example, such as, as if, for instance, etc. If you are tempted to say “Umm” better keep shut and say nothing at all.

Never say Literally. Ever.

8. Use a Measured Tone of Voice

Many people tend to talk too loud, fast, low or slow when they’re nervous or under pressure. Try your best to keep track of how you sound when you speak.

Take your time to speak and listen to yourself so you can control your voice when the time comes.

9. Avoid Nervous Tics

Scratching your neck or scalp, rubbing your face, twirling your hair and any other nervous tics should be left at outside the interview room. It’s easier said than done but try to be extremely conscious of your body.

When you find yourself reaching for the hair, calmly stop. You don’t want to seem insecure during an interview.

10. Be Yourself

Don’t try to be someone you are not. The interviewers want to know YOU. Tell your own experiences and try to be comfortable in your own skin. Your stories and experiences are interesting, valid and wanted.

Now go forth and rock your next interview!