10 Things I've Learned As Freshman Year Comes To A Close
Freshman

Nine months taught me more than just what I learned in a classroom.

210

Nine months ago I moved out on my own for the first time as I started my college career. Now, as I watch it come to a close (literally, because I move out tomorrow) I can see how much those nine months have really grown me. To grow, you have to go through a lesson of some sort. Those lessons all taught me something in result.

Because of that, here's a list of 10 things I learned throughout my first year of college.

1. Naps are crucial if you want to actually make it through the day. 

They're extremely important, especially when you're running on only a few hours of sleep. I never took so many naps until I came to college.

2. Everything adds up.

I already knew this before, but you really realize how much every little thing adds up when you're in college.

3. Home-cooked meals are always better.

When you eat fast food so often, you really come to appreciate a homecooked meal. You quickly realize that it will always be better than fast food.

4. Cable is overrated.

Now, to keep up with any shows I watched live, I used Hulu and CWtv.com. Plus, Netflix exists. I realized I didn't really need cable.

5. Saying goodbye is hard.

Whether it's saying goodbye to my friends and family at home or saying goodbye to my friends at school for the weekend, goodbyes are hard. I wish we could all be together all the time.

6. Take time for yourself.

Between school, working and having an internship, I found myself to be under a pretty busy schedule. While I really enjoyed everything I was a part of, I learned the importance of saying no and taking time for me to just breathe. This is why naps are so important.

7. Changing a tire is really hard.

So is buying new tires, getting my oil changed and just doing anything with my car in general.

8. Sometimes you just need to talk to your mom.

Bad test? Call Mom. Long day at work? Call Mom. Unsure of a recipe? Call Mom.

No matter what, always call mom. Even for the good things.

SEE ALSO:23 Reasons You Call Your Mom In College

9. Bringing a blanket to class isn't frowned upon.

I don't care if it's 90 degrees outside; it will be freezing inside the building and you must bring a blanket to survive the three hour class without freezing.

10. College friends are friends for life.

You build this family within your friend group. These are the people who will be a part of my wedding, who will be my children's aunts/uncles, and who I will grow up with. Make sure you find good ones to go through life with.