10 Self-Care Reminders For The End Of The Quarter
College

10 Self-Care Reminders For The End Of That Dreadful Winter Quarter

Take some time for yourself before things get going tough.

152

With winter quarter quickly coming to a close (just three more weeks!), everything can feel like it's stacking up quickly. A paper here, an exam there. Don't forget to take time for yourself. I failed to do any of these things last quarter and struggled all the way to the end. This list isn't anything new, but it is a reminder to take a break from the papers, eat some food, and take a nap. Then get back on the grind.

1. Take a nap

This is the simplest one, in my eyes. Shut your eyes and let reality go for a bit. Catch up on some much-needed sleep and wake up ready to take on the world.

2. Play your favorite video game

When I'm feeling a little stressed, I like to sit down and play "The Sims." It's a game I can get lost in for hours at a time and can come back feeling inspired by the crazy stories I made up. I absolutely can become the president of everything, just like my Sim.

3. Read a book

If video games aren't your forte, maybe pick up a book. It could be an old favorite or a new one, but anything to get you away from the boring old textbooks and/or confusing middle English that some professors require you to read for their courses.

4. Cook

To some people, cooking can be therapeutic. Sometimes I get more stressed than I was when I'm cooking, but it's a different kind of stress. Usually, it's all worth it because you have yummy food at the end to enjoy.

5. Go to work

Some of you are probably laughing, but to me, escaping the confines of my study cave and doing something as simple as working on something different can help. I work a pretty easy-going retail job, so going out and actually being a person and interacting with others helps.

6. Meet up with some friends

Another easy one. Chances are that they're all stressed out too, and they want to get out of their rooms and hang out. Go see a movie, go bowling, get some dinner, go for a walk - anything to get your mind fresh and moving again.

7. Watch Netflix

Let your brain rest for a bit. Watch some "Grey's Anatomy," watch a comedy special, or something even more light-hearted. Your brain doesn't have to work as hard when John Mulaney is talking about working with Mick Jagger.

8. Take a bath

Most people think that unless you have a bath bomb, baths aren't relaxing. If you don't have a Lush near you, you can always go to the store and purchase a cheap bubble bath or even a body wash to create a nice bubble bath. Even without that, baths are a nice way to relax the muscles and take a step away from the textbooks. Light a candle, put on a tv show, and soak.

9. Listen to a musical

There are plenty of musicals that are fun and have upbeat songs. "Dear Evan Hansen" is my current listen (even though I've heard it about a million times) it's one of my favorites to listen to when things are going rough.

10. Take up a passion project

This is a new one of mine. What do you love? Painting? Writing? Knitting? Anything? Do it. I recently started using Adobe Illustrator to create some art in a way that I learned a few years ago and it's one of my favorite things to do. Get back to your roots, relax, and enjoy the ride.