10 Reasons Why East Coast Is The Best Coast

We're rude and we're proud.

3837
Country Heritage Tours

The East Coast has a lot of reputations. We're known both for our rich history and our tendency towards being cold and rude in our manner. Some say we're just matching our notorious winter weather, but that's up for debate. We're known for being a little arrogant and doing crazy things like actively participating in country club rivalries and enjoying squash (the sport, not the vegetable) or religiously adhering to a strict dress code of prep, prep, prep, and mercilessly shunning offenders. There's the never-ending rat race of keeping up with the Joneses and the expectation to always exceeding expectations at everything you do, which probably contributes a lot to our uptightness.

The east coast is known for a lot of things- so hold on to your lobstah rolls and pearls, because here's a few reasons why it rocks.

1. We have the city. (New York is the only city that is, and ever will be, relevant)
  2. Bean Boots were invented here. In 1912, Leon Leonwood Bean saved us all forever from cold, wet feet. We owe you one, Leon.
  3. We have lobster rolls. The state of Maine has all but made these into an art form. I highly recommend the Boothbay Lobster Wharf in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. Life changing.
  4. And real pizza. Sit down, Chicago. Let Frank Pepe show you how it’s done.
  5. We have perfected the art of preppy dressing (and living, because it's not just a fashion style, it's a lifestyle).
  6. New England is home to most of the best preparatory high schools and universities in the country (hello Harvard, Choate, Miss Porter’s…)
  7. Every season is beautiful- except maybe winter. Winter sucks. But those two gloriously colorful weeks in October almost make up for it. (See here, here, and here).
  8. We have a ton of history! Almost every New England kid’s field trips were to some historical cabin, field, or even Plymouth Rock.
  9. The east coast also boasts some of the best options for recreation- there’s skiing in the winter all the way to water skiing on the Sound in the summer, plus apple picking and zoos in between.
  10. And finally, because of our unwavering confidence that whatever the rest of the country is doing, the east coast is doing it better.

While the east coast is not for the faint of heart, it has more than enough to offer to anyone, anytime. With buckets of charm, great food, and plenty to do, it's understandable why its inhabitants are so stuck up—we have this beautiful region to be forever proud of, despite its awful winters and dog-eat-dog mindset. Stay classy, east coasters. Keep doing you.