Study Tips

10 Most helpful Study Tips I Have Learned In College

42
  1. Make your own study guide. Many teachers give you study guides but even then it can be helpful to create your own that is more specific to what you know you need the most practice on.
  2. Utilize your resources. Merrimack provides great resources for free such as the math center and other area specific tutors. Additionally, most of the teachers here are great about having flexible office hours.
  3. Start studying at least one week before a test. This will allow more time to study obviously but also enough time to seek out the resources you may not know you need until you start studying.
  4. Use blue pen. I don't know why it works, but a professor told me to try writing with blue pen, and it really has improved my memorization abilities. A part of this, as well, is writing notes by hand which will improve memorization.
  5. Study at night. For many people, studying at night or later in the day actually produces better memorization. That being said, please don't try studying at 2am if you have a test at 8am the next morning.
  6. Understand the material before you memorize it. It will be much more difficult to memorize formulas if you don't know what they mean. This will also make it harder to memorize it incorrectly.
  7. Teach others what you're studying. Whether you teach your friends, classmates or even family it can be helpful trying to teach others what you're learning. If they have questions about what you're saying that's all the better.
  8. Try taking notes from the slides or textbook the day before class. When you go to class bring the notes and a different colored pen and write down any new information as well as underlining anything the teacher says is important or goes over a lot.
  9. Study somewhere with limited distractions. The most important thing I've realized since getting to college is that studying in your room does not work. Find somewhere with the right amount of background noise and comfort to get your best work done.
  10. COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE!