Poem by Christine Saint
Parents

The Subway is a strange place at night pt. 3

You ever feel like New York doesn't love us?

131
https://www.instagram.com/m_lessard02/
YouTube

In New York, I hate telling people "I'll be there soon" when I don't even know what kind of mood the MTA is in and how it's feeling.

New York doesn't love us! I'm here, tired as fuck, trapped underground as if I don't need sleep and don't mind sticking around. I've concluded, during my ignorance is bliss mentality at 2:30 am frantically trying to get home on the F train that stopped...again...

That New York doesn't love us! Almost two hours. To get from one borough to another...not even fully through...I'm talking mid way dude. Like. the fuck? Lower East Manhattan to Jamaica, Queens...after living in New York for a while I've come to understand what this means.

We love New York, New York doesn't love us. She chews us up and spits us out like a tobacco addict thats had enough.We can't help but come back...with a fast track direction to success, freedom, liberty and creativity. Hoping that New York will love us, show us the way, and act like the mother figure we left behind to take on this journey.

I thought New York would take care of us. We just want some trust, New York. Am I asking for too much, do you not have enough...to give?

MTA will forever have me fucked up...and that's why New York doesn't love us. It takes two hours, if not more, to get from Coney Island to Jamaica, Queens...on the MTA. Above ground, however, that's a drive made everyday.

So what MTA is saying,

Is that because it's late and we're underground, that shit don't matter anymore? Like come on, show some love and get us home, some of us have to get up early in the morn'.

I just had to wait half an hour to reach the next stop...what kind of fucked up shit is that?!

Excuse my first world problems, but this is a problem...because New York is wasting my time and instead of actively fixing the confusion they decided to conclude by saying sorry for the inconvenience. Sometimes I look around and feel like I'm the only one hearing it. Over and over and over and over again.

Sometimes, I truly believe New York doesn't love us...and nights like this I have fresh evidence. The disrespect is so real, being trapped underground with no option of whether to stay or to go.

I can't even understand how people deal with this on a daily basis. I can't depend on a city that doesn't love me and undermines my time.

And puts it secondary to whatever else is on the line.