How Writing Can Help You Face Your Fears
Hobbies

Writing Can Help You Express Feelings You've Struggled To Articulate For Years

Writing is such a powerful weapon. It's a sweet escape and a beautiful form of communication.

32
Person writing in a journal

Writing is such a powerful weapon. It's a sweet escape and a beautiful form of communication. To me, writing has always been the most intimate form of communication. It allows you to put your thoughts into words that aren't always easy to communicate verbally. They put your wildest creative thoughts on paper and allow bizarre scenarios to make sense through stories. For me, writing has always been my sanction.

Read when you feel like you need something to relate to. Books offer a relatability that daily experiences often lack. I read when I'm sad and let the character's stories envelop my emotions. When people in real life cannot relate to you but book characters can, it offers the comfort of a friend. It reminds you that you're not alone.

Write when you're anxious. I write when I'm anxious and cannot explain my emotions. I scribble the thoughts on a paper and let my mind bleed on the paper. When I understand myself least, the pen always works as a translation. Use flow of consciousness and write without thought. The ink explains me to myself and rereading the words allow an interpretation of what I'm feeling.

Reread old pieces of writing when you're sad. I reread letters when I'm feeling my worst. I have two journals by my bed that has offered me a piece of mind that I cannot even imagine without. One is a journal that one of my best friends bought me that dedicates a few pages as a letter to me. It is an ode to our friendship and a description of our friendship and her perspective/ interpretation of the type of person I am. When I feel like myself the least I read the pages and find comfort in their familiarity. It reminds of me who I am and the fact that people care about me. When I hate myself most, I can remember that there are people out there who love me. The handwritten words are personal and so meaningful. The exchange of letters remind us of who we are and make sure we never forget. Write a letter to your friend and ask to receive one back. It is something you will not regret, you'll find out things about yourself that you wouldn't even know and be grateful for the perspectives you receive. If you think getting a text full of compliments is amazing, imagine getting handwritten pages, and try not to cry.

Read your old poetry when you're feeling down. Remind yourself that you've gotten through so much before and have come out fine. This too will pass and you'll be fine soon again, your previous poems are proof.

Write when you're happy. Those are always the best to reread. Happiness is an amazing feeling that is so temporary. The euphoria felt in some of your most eclectic situations is something that is short lived and often times hard to explain after a long period after. Write your favorite memories down and thank yourself later.

Bottom line is to write whenever you can. It's therapeutic, preserves memories and is the closest you will ever get to someone's minds and inner thoughts. They hold memories tight and can make you happiest after reading them when you least expect it. They heal you and remind you of your strength and also comfort you. Writing is a therapy.