Why Not?
Lifestyles

Why Not?

A reflection of my memorable junior year at USC and my take away from it…

146
Tim Vo
Tim Vo

Before Fall semester even started, I knew that I had some big goals in mind that I wanted to achieve by the end of this academic year. From getting straight-As (which isn't working out at the moment) to studying for the LSAT (which I haven't even started yet LOL), I set really high expectations on myself as an aspiring attorney. Don't get me wrong, as a Philosophy, Politics, and Law major on a Pre-Law track at SC there are times where I find myself absolutely overwhelmed with stress and uncertainty. But that's what college is supposed to be about right? For me, I knew junior year was going to be a very important one and I made it a point to ask myself questions on what makes me happy and what are some of the things that I find meaning in life. It didn't take me long to realize that my question was answered through pursuing my lifelong interest in fashion photography— my most beloved creative outlet.

I can't tell you the amount of times people have asked me why I never pursued fashion photography earlier, and why I didn't go "full-throttle" with it until my junior year. To be very candid, I was scared and uncertain about it— which is why I never was really open about it or even considered doing it. As a child, I recall those days where my mom would drag me shopping with her out of my own will and would find myself either running through the clothing racks, playing with the displays, or flipping through those colorful editorial magazines. When you are exposed to this kind of environment a significant part of your life, it really does something to you— and for me, it really sparked my passion for fashion and design (Thanks mom). In the beginning of my junior year, I felt very strongly about these occurrences in the past and childhood memories that still lingered in my head. I had an epiphany, an epiphany in which I realized life is already to short and it was now or never to actually turn my interest in fashion photography into a reality. I hate to say this, but as each day goes by the idea of becoming an attorney has slowly and slowly faded from me— as I press on towards my endeavors of exercising fashion photography.

To my fellow students and dreamers, my hope is that you too will have an epiphany. An epiphany in which you will understand your passion and interests on such an intimate level to where you feel so compelled to spend the rest of your life perfecting it for a greater good. The ideal life for me is far from the luxurious and opulent lifestyle that is so glorified by society. Pursue what really interests you and encourages you to get out of your bed every single day. At twenty-one, I still have a lot ahead of me, but I know that my ultimate goal is to be able to smile during my last days on Earth— having little to no regrets.

So just remember that every day when you wake up, start off the day by asking yourself, why not?