I'm A First Time Presidential Voter, And This Is All We Got?

A joke always has an ending... right?

7
Huffington Post

Lets all be real for a moment:

This presidential election, is more like a presidential sh*t show.

We now as a country have Republican Donald Trump, whose own party wants him out, and Democrat Hillary Clinton, who most couldn't trust her as far as they could throw her.

Those two running is like a bad nightmare, that has come to life. I was really hoping for a real battle between two parties, with so much educational information about how they as a leader are going to make changes to the Country. It is more like watching kids fight on the monkey bars.

The final debate was on this previous Wednesday, October 19th. Before I started watching, I knew how it was going to go. It's like watching a Twitter fight in real life. Trump over talking Clinton, Clinton laughing at him the whole time, basically no respect they have for each other, no matter what they say to the News. I got my wine ready.

Other than the Immigration talk, they seem to both be very composed. I'm impressed, for a couple of minutes. Somehow appointing Supreme Court justices turned into talking about reversing a major Supreme Court case from 1973, to Putin? It was really a disaster, though they for the most part held their composure. Granted, I know that they have to argue, if they were in the same party or had all the same views as one another, they would not be going against each other. But, is there anything else they can talk about, something like, I don't know, THE ONGOING ISSUES IN THIS NATION THAT ARE WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN DONALD'S HAIR OR HILLARY BEING SICK. It might just be me, but they talk about everything BUT the issues. They barely answer the questions, and find a way to get a swift jab in. It's pathetic, quite honestly. The moderators, however, are the ones who can really reel them in. (You go, Chris Wallace). It was great to see Wallace shut them both up, and move onto the issues. Both the candidates were actually answering questions, which was a change.

During class this semester, in my Public Relations class, we tend to talk politics a lot, considering my professor is deeply into them, being a PR agent at one time herself. We were talking the day after the last debate, and she said something that has stuck with me, and it came full-circle for me.

She asked us, "why do you think people would vote for them, even though they don't like the choices?" Multiple answers were being shouted out, but this is what made us all think, and realize that she was right.

"People are voting for Trump because they don't want Hillary in office, or they're voting for Hillary because they don't want Trump in office."

Mind. Blown.

It really made me think, most people don't seem to be so thrilled with these candidates, but they hate the other one so much that they would vote for the other. This, this is really what we have come down to? I remember my Dad told me the first election he got to vote in was the Presidential Election of 1980, Republican Candidate Ronald Reagan, and running again was Democrat Jimmy Carter, and Independent John B. Anderson. Carter was president until this election, and my Dad told me "Everyone, and I mean everyone, LOVED Reagan. People were passionate for either him or Carter. Nothing like today." This just broke my heart, in a political standpoint.

This makes me incredibly disappointed as a first time voter, that I will not be able to have the same experience.

I just can't wait until this living hell is over.