Why is astrology so widespread?
Lifestyles

Why Astrology Is So Popular

The answers are in the stars

315
Why Astrology Is So Popular

What is astrology?

If you have an account on any form of social media, it's no doubt that you're no stranger to the craze called astrology that's been sweeping the internet by storm for the past year or so. Just in case you haven't heard of it, I'll fill you in: the dictionary definition of astrology is "the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world." Basically, this means that astrology is another method we use to explain why the things that happen to us happen. For example, from February 18th to March 20th, it was Pisces season, meaning that everyone born during this time is born under the constellation of Pisces. Pisces season is already infamous to the astrology community for being a time of emotional turbulence and melancholy, and this year, Mercury went retrograde at the very end of Pisces season, which, according to astrologers, only exemplified the overwhelming feelings and inability to cope with said feelings. Basically, all of this means that when you cried because that puppy you saw on campus was just that cute, it wasn't because you were being overly dramatic. It was the stars! Regardless of whether or not you like or even believe in astrology, it can be interesting to see how correct it is in "predicting" our day to day lives, and even more interesting how widespread and popular it's become recently.

Why does everyone love astrology?

There are lots of attempts at answers to this question, and that's because there are so many reasons. Some people genuinely believe it, some hope it's real, and others just think its fun. What do these people all have in common?

When you look at the demographics of people who are interested in astrology, you'll find it's mostly millennials. This generation is infamous among the older ones for being insecure about everything, ourselves, money, getting jobs, and getting married (these being only a few problems that every millennial seems to face). In the midst of all of this turbulence and insecurity, it can be hard to find something to rely on, and sometimes, we look for something to guarantee to us that we will be okay. While the more traditional answers to these fears would be organized religion or something else similar, some millennials may turn to the stars instead. It is a source of comfort for those of us searching for reassurance that we'll find what we're looking for, whether that be financial security, love, or happiness. It's also comforting to be able to direct some of the blame for our problems that may or may not have been caused by our own doing towards the position of the planets.

This raises the question: is astrology healthy? The answer: it's subjective! As long as it is taken lightly and not used as a way to excuse our problems with the simple answer "Mercury is in retrograde," astrology can be a fun way to explore the possibilities that lay in store for our future, and sometimes, it's comforting to look to the stars and being told we'll be alright. All in all, astrology is a fun way to try and explain the way life goes, and it will always be fascinating to see the widespread influence it has over our generation.