Why Americans Should Travel Internationally More
Travel

11 Reasons You Should Travel Beyond The U.S.A., Even If You're A Dyed-In-The-Wool Patriot

The world shines a whole new light on everything you thought you knew, when you leave your bubble.

30
Mikaela Cok
Mikaela Cok

I never knew how different the world could be from one place to the next until I spent time outside of the comfort of the great U.S.A. — The history, cultures, food, drinks, and even transportation. I realized that it's life-changing to travel the world and now I don't ever want to stop.

1. The history is so rich

Even if you're not a huge history fan (like me), the buildings and sites, and their history behind them is incredible. You can learn things about how the sites were built, why they were built, who stepped foot there. It is really magical to see these kinds of things in person instead of inside a book!

2. Transportation is interesting

If you travel to London you'll see more double-decker buses and people on bikes than anything, and in Paris, you'll see an unreal number of mopeds driving around. It is also interesting that America is definitely the most common place to have your own car, most other people in other countries have to ride a subway or walk to to avoid paying major money for their own transportation.

3. Food

Every country has their own special dishes, and you will never visit somewhere where you don't find something new. If you're a food lover this is especially for you, just don't be afraid to venture out. You may not be able to read or understand every menu, but that's all part of the fun!

4. Drinks

You will definitely find a whole new era of sodas and juices while adventuring abroad. Even a Fanta soda in Europe does not taste like Fanta, but more like SunnyD.

5. Clothes are fun

In all honesty, a lot of the styles of clothing are the same as in the U.S., but you will find occasional shoes and pants that are extremely colorful and 3D, to say the least.

6. Different languages are everywhere

It is incredible that you can walk one block down the street in Europe and hear three different languages being spoken within a matter of minutes. And even if someone isn't speaking in a foreign language, there are dozens of different types of accents. Also, it is super fun to be able to walk into a store and someone say "bonjour" and you can say it back!

7. Plane rides are an experience

Being on a plane for six-plus hours is certainly a treat, or it can be. It comes with a lot of back aches and tiny bathroom breaks. But if there is one thing I HIGHLY recommend, it is to book a flight with an airline that offers free movies and entertainment, And of course complimentary food!

8. Souvenirs

There are a decent amount of souvenir shops in any place you travel simply because it doesn't have to say "souvenirs," it can just be a simple shop full of trinkets, and you can find the most unique things to bring back and forever remember your trip of a lifetime!

9. Meeting locals

This is one of the toughest parts about traveling, meeting locals, mostly because it's a 50/50 chance if you'll run into someone nice or someone not so nice. While I was traveling abroad I ran into a fair share of both types of people, but it definitely is worthwhile to interact with people because those nice people I met, made the trip that much better.

10. Learning new hacks

Not every place does or makes things the same way America does, so one of the things I found so interesting was how they did everything in foreign countries. From soap dispensers to bathrooms to the inside of restaurants, it really is a whole new world out there.

11. Traveling will shape you

The best thing that has come from traveling for me is the appreciation I have gained for the world from it. Seeing and living the way other people do outside the world really opens your eyes and see that there is more than one way for everything in life. I truly believe traveling has helped me see the world in a light more beautiful than a book or picture could ever describe.

If you have a goal and a dream destination, no matter how long it may take you to get there, never stop working towards it because it will definitely be worth it.