What They Won't Tell You About Getting Involved

Some say you are what you eat. I say you are what you do. 

I think it's safe to say that the most common piece of advice given to incoming freshmen is to get involved on campus. It's great advice too- anyone who has heeded this advice can attest to that. 

However, it's hard to explain to an eager, almost-collegiate student how important it is to actually join clubs, teams or organizations without sounding like a living college admissions flyer. 

"Our campus has a diverse, exciting variety of clubs and sports to fit all of your interests!"

"What better way to make new friends than to join a club!"

"Step out of your comfort zone and try something new!"

See? Its a bit obnoxious. 

As a self-proclaimed extracurricular queen, I'm here to help explain the top three reasons why getting involved is the single most important decision anyone will make in their college career (without sounding like the poster child of university advertising). 

1. It shapes your crowd. 

Welcome to college, where you can suddenly choose your friends from a more extensive variety than ever before. Joining different organizations connects you to a whole new network of peers in which each individual has something to offer. You will learn more from these people than you ever thought possible, and you will cherish their friendships for the rest of your life. 

2. It shapes your college experience.

You only have four years, so make every second count. Take advantage of all the opportunities in front of you, because once these four years are over, it's going to take a lot more effort to discover a new passion for volleyball or ballroom dancing. Whether your organization is career oriented to help you get ahead, leadership oriented to reach your highest potential, or just something you enjoy doing, you will be much happier on graduation day knowing that you made the most out of your college experience.

3. It shapes YOU. 

No matter the letters, team, or club that you represent, you will find out who who you want to be, along with the friends, experiences, and lessons that help you along the way. This is what college is all about- finding your true and best self through things you've never done before. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone, ladies and gents. 

As they say, "first you become a part of it, then it becomes a part of you."