What I Learned From Reading "I Am Malala"

And why you should read it, too.

3274
www.bossy.it

Many know the story of the young girl from Pakistan, named Malala, who was shot by the Taliban on her way home from school. A movie was recently created about her life after the shooting, and the humanitarian work she has done leading to her large success and recognition across the globe. However, many people have not read the biography “I Am Malala” telling the story of her life and the beliefs and ideals of her family and religion.

Through reading the descriptive stories about Malala’s life, I was provided with a first-hand perspective of life as a young girl in Pakistan, such as the strict rules that are enforced upon their everyday lives. In the book, Malala spends a great deal of time describing life as a Muslim women during the time of the Taliban in Pakistan in the early 2000s.

As a non-Muslim American, I knew little about the Middle-Eastern Muslim culture, and knew even less about the Taliban activities in Pakistan and Afghanistan. This book educated me on the terrorist activities that began during the first years of this century, and how Middle-Easterners’ saw the United States and their view of the attacks on America, such as 9/11. The information I knew about 9/11 was based off of my own memories, when I was only five years of age, or from American news channels and stories, which is only half of the story.

From reading this book, I gained knowledge on Islam and the beliefs that come along with the religion. In today’s times, and with many of the terrorist acts that have occurred, Muslims are often judged and misunderstood. “I Am Malala” gives the reader insight on the religion and quotes the Quran, proving that extremists such as the Taliban are not following the religion and should not be seen as the average Muslim.

The most important lesson I learned from reading this book is to stand strong for what you believe in, and never back down in the face of adversity. Malala is an incredible young woman who has always stood up for her beliefs for equal education for children, and is willing to go the distance in order to see change. Even when facing the Taliban in Pakistan, who would not allow girls to attend school, she continued to further her education and speak out against the Taliban despite the fact that it put her in danger.

Malala is an inspiring young woman with an incredible story of perseverance and strength who has traveled across the world promoting education for children. I would suggest that everyone read this book, despite your beliefs or prejudgments, because it sheds light on an important issue as well as the misconceptions about Muslims.

As Malala fights for education for children, I encourage that everyone learn about religions and beliefs other than your own, while striving for acceptance of all people, despite your differences.

From Your Site Articles