Finally Finding The Secret To Motivation
Lifestyles

Exposing The Secret Of How To Stay Motivated

So when people ask me "how do you stay motivated?" I automatically tell them: I don't.

352
Ashley Goyette

One of the most common questions people seem to ask me about my fitness journey is "how do you stay motivated". To answer this, I could try to go on and on about how I'm just naturally motivated and prepared to put my best foot forward all day every day. Or I could make it seem effortless by listing all the things that inspire me and pretend they're enough to keep me going, but realistically that wouldn't be the truth.

Motivation is defined as the general desire or willingness of someone to do something, but people can have desire to do many things. People may desire to become rich and famous, or wish to get in shape all they want. This motivation isn't what gets the job done. It is simply, dedication. This new word, dedication, is defined as the quality of being dedicated or committed to a task or purpose. In order to make something that you desire to happen, actually happen, you must be committed to that task of completing it.

Whenever somebody asks me how I stay motivated, it takes me a second to figure out how to answer this. It is not as black and white as having the constant desire, because many times I do not wish to get up and go to the gym, or curb my late night cravings. It all comes down to what I want most.

When I started my fitness journey, I decided that I wanted to reach my goals more than anything. Of course my goals motivated me to want to get to where I am, and continue to push me to where I want to be. But it is the dedication that carries me through on the days my motivation is absent.

In order to stay dedicated, you need discipline. This discipline comes from what you put your focus on. Your desire for the goals you are chasing has to remain stronger than your excuses. You have to prioritize the things that will get you to where you need to go. This means making time for the gym or to meal prep, rather than just finding it.

So when people ask me "how do you stay motivated?", I automatically tell them; I don't. This concept may seem confusing at first, but once you differentiate between the two words and very distinct definitions, you will have unlocked the secret to reaching your goals.