The Weird Realizations of College

The Weird Realizations of College

There comes a time when you stop, look around, and truly realize what college is.

8
The Weird Realizations of College

Today, at about 11:15 a.m., I realized that college is a very interesting place. Sure, everyone can make that observation to an extent. It's when you really try to grasp the true concept of what goes on during these 4 years of life that you find your realizations. 

I sat down for breakfast this morning, completely unprepared for the day. I had papers due, project deadlines to meet, and a whole plate of eggs and pancakes in front of me to finish. Living in a sorority house, there is never a dull moment. Girls filed in and took the seats next to me, all filling each other in on the exciting night beforehand. Everyone talked about what their day consisted of, which the majority of the time was them catching up on all the homework they put off for the weekend. And as we sat, the conversation turned to college itself. When you really think about college, you realize that it is comparable to a bubble. You are surrounded by people your age at all times, you are governed by people your own age most of the time, and you never really interact with adults unless they are your professors. Students come to college and are completely on their own. There's no one here telling you what to do every step of the way, and yet somehow everyone ends up in their own certain place and doing what they're supposed to. That's the biggest realization that I had at breakfast this morning: in college you are essentially independent. If you don't go to class, there are no other repercussions. We live in this closed-off world with education, Greek life, and school spirit and almost forget that there are places outside of school. 

It's not until you take the trip home that you realize there are other people in the world that are not between the ages of 18 and 22. I wasn't planning on really thinking about the weird and confusing aspects of college life this morning, but as I finished my orange juice and threw out my plate, I realized that not only is college a bubble closed off from everything, but that I still have a couple more years to live in it.