Wake Up America

Wake Up America

Maybe the freedom we're all so proud of isn't what freedom really means.

6
Wake Up America
TravelwithVal.com

Today, I actually decided to turn towards the recent happenings in the United States. I am not a fan of the news because it's usually all so negative, but as I was talking with a friend on the phone today, my heart just felt heavy for our country that we call home.

America is hurting. As a government. As a culture. As people. This is incredibly evident, even in small towns all the way up to the big cities. America is HURTING. Well, what's there to do about it? The problem with America is where our roots are. Well, from what our constitution says, what is said in (most) of our schools, and what is even printed on our currency, we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD.

But lately, we aren't acting like it. We live in a country where we are supposed to be ourselves, do whatever, and live out freedom. We are free to speak our minds, say whatever we want on our facebook page, and hold up signs in the street. We make demands. We criticize. We do all of these things that so evidently point to the fact that we have not been acting like one nation. One nation is people of different color, attitude, hobbies, income, and personality putting aside their differences for a greater purpose—for unity.

There are times that I feel as if we are the land of the free, home of the brave, and one nation under God until we decide that's too much to give up for our country. Freedom isn't fighting the government. Freedom isn't a double standard. Freedom isn't doing whatever you want because that's what your society stands for. Freedom isn't capable without some sort of unison. The idea that America has for freedom is selfish, but the freedom that God has intended for this country is not the freedom we've been living out. The freedom that our troops so valiantly fight for is not the freedom we display here.

The irony of the whole situation is that we are literally at war with another country, yet we seem to be fighting another war between ourselves. Yes, I am for world peace. Yes, I support the idea of a world that is perfect—the world God intended, but I think that all starts with America as a whole. How can we expect a whole world to come together if you're screaming at your neighbor every five seconds? What's it going to take for us to come together, America? Because we live in a country who remembers the darkest day a little over 15 years ago. We live in a country who was shaken and stirred and beautifully broken for one another that day. But that's not what it should take to get our country back together.

The simple truth of the matter is the White House isn't going to fix everything regardless of the person put in charge. Change starts with you. Change starts with the way you love people. Change starts with putting aside your social differences and loving people just because. I love this country. I love the people in it. I have faith that this country can get to a point where we truly are "One Nation Under God", but it's time for you to get out there and love people well. Do the best you can for our country. Do the best you can for the Kingdom of God. I think we owe it to the stars, stripes, and Savior to cherish our country and the people in it and to truly become who America can be.