USA: A Nation United or Divided?

USA: A Nation United or Divided?

23
USA: A Nation United or Divided?

It is no secret that the situation in Ferguson caused a great deal of conversation throughout the nation from people from all over. There have been talks of racism, insensitivity, government domination, and police brutality but is all of the fighting between each other worth it? Are we really making an impact on anyone’s lives by rioting, or arguing and fighting each other? Nobody is saying not to care, or not to get involved however there are more ways to make an impact. To make an impact we need to come together as a nation. Be the change that you want to see in the world! 

Instead of all of us becoming divided or placing blame it would be a better use of our time to support effective causes. I can see all the different views surrounding this sensitive topic. It would be a better use of everyone’s time to look at ways to help end these issues.   

Though rioting may seem like a good idea to channel all of our frustration and anger, it seems to have caused a lot more chaos.  There are other ways to help out. You could donate to the Michael Brown fund and help his parents with the costs that they have incurred investigating the death of their son.  Another way to help would be starting a petition and help encourage and support that all law enforcement officers wear body cameras. We can help eliminate speculation and actually see what happens from the eyes of the police officers. This way we can establish trust on both ends from citizens and officers.   

Support the idea that police should not have such extensive weaponry at their disposal. Indeed in some places its necessary however, when you give people weapons and things that are so extreme they may feel a need to use it at the wrong time. This is not an abuse of power, it’s just a common fact about human nature.    

There are many other ways to get involved and help without causing more issues. The biggest thing that we can do especially as millennials is to educate ourselves. People have been sharing stories and stating facts that aren’t always true. Don’t believe everything you read. Ensure that the things that you read are from credible sources and are supported with evidence. Anybody can write anything that would support one side or another, but being able to decipher and make your opinion is the most important part. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion that’s one of the amazing things about our nation. With that being said understand that though someone may have a different opinion than you doesn’t mean that they are wrong or being disrespectful. It is important to respect everyone’s opinion even though it may be different than yours.   

Now even though I am positive that someone is going to disagree with what I have written, even though I tried to make this article as neutral as possible. If you don’t like what I have to say then I suggest you write your own article and get published and you can disagree all you like. Until then let’s unite our nation and not divide it. Only by working together will we make any advancement.