The Truth About Bikers

The Truth About Bikers

They taught us to not judge books by their covers, so don't judge a biker because they ride a motorcycle.

624
The Truth About Bikers
Anna Simpson

The movies have a funny way of portraying certain aspects of life. They have a way of creating a false reality, and making good things look bad. The negative portrayal of bikers is no different. The movie Wild Hogs portrays two types of bikers: the Del Fuegoes and Wild Hogs. The Del Fuegoes are rough and tough guys who spend their day drinking at the bar or out on rides looking for trouble. These bikers are big, tough, tattooed and often feared by the public, with bad reputations following them wherever they go.

The truth is, these types of bikers do exist. There are bikers out there who don’t have a good name and that the public does fear.

However, the majority of the men and women who ride are just like the Wild Hogs; the good guys, the ones who want to go out on a Sunday for a peaceful ride on winding back roads with friends. It is their chance to get away after a long week at work, a form of therapy, and a chance to feel true freedom. To them, it is not about their associating with a group, but it is about riding for the love of riding and sometimes American pride.

The truth is not all bikers are who or what they seem to be. Even with the rough exterior that some carry, they are soft on the inside. Bikers have some of the biggest hearts out there. They are hardworking men and women who take time out of their schedules to support the police officers, firefighters, and servicemen and women. They are the ones escorting home our heroes after a tour of duty to thank them for the sacrifice they make.

Bikers play a huge role in helping the kids of their communities. There have been stories on the news about bikers watching over and protecting children of abuse cases. They might not look like the people who should protect a child, but let me tell you something: they are just the right people. They would do anything to keep these kids safe. I even know some bikers who are executive members of an organization designed to help the underserved children of their community. They want to see these kids have a better life. Some of the most important people in my life are these bikers. They give up so much of their own time for the kids.

The truth about bikers is you need to watch out for them on the road. They are the most vulnerable people on the streets. Bikes are the smallest motor vehicles on the road. They are also the least protected, as they don’t have a metal cage to surround them. This means that sometimes the moves they make on the road are not them being idiots or showing off, but they are moves to protect themselves. They may speed up to get passed you, but did you think that maybe that was to get out of your blind spot? Maybe they move throughout the lane frequently, but did you think that maybe they are trying to avoid various road hazards that don’t impact drivers?

The truth about bikers is you can’t be so quick to judge them. They are the ones changing your community for the better. They are the ones supporting those who serve to protect. You might just see another biker on the road, but just remember someone else sees a friend, a father, or a brother, a mother, or a sister. I know I do because some of my family’s closest friends ride motorcycles. They ride for the right reasons and they have enormous hearts. That means when I see a biker on the road, I see all those people, but I also see MY father, MY brother, and now I even see MYSELF. Watch out for us on the road because the truth about us is we are the goods guys.