Traditions: It Wouldn't Be Christmas Without Them
Christmas

Every family has their traditions here are mine.

51
Frances Ackerman

Christmas Trees

There is no right or wrong way to decorate a Christmas tree but here is how my family does Christmas trees. We go to a field and cut down our tree every year and head to the tall and fat tree that looks like a jungle and that is the one we get. We think of Christmas trees like we think of people, no one is perfect so why should a tree be? Then on to actually getting the gigantic tree into our house and let me tell you that it is no walk in the park. Next is the struggle to make sure it is not crooked in the tree stand and this takes a while! Finally, we anchor it to the ceiling as an attempt to keep it standing while my cats climb the tree.

(Fun fact: last year a record was set with a total of three times that the Christmas tree was knocked over by my beloved cat. No animals were harmed in this three-part event, only ornaments.)

We then decorate the tree with colorful lights and different ornaments that my family has gathered over the years. Many people put either a star or an angle on top of their tree but not us, the Auburn AU symbol graces the top of our tree every year!

Family and Friends

Christmas is a time to gather with family and friends that you may not see very often. We exchange gifts, tell stories, and enjoy each others company!

Christmas Movies

Ever since I can remember my brother and I have watched Home Alone together every year around Christmas. Now that he has graduated from college and I am a sophomore in college our schedules do not align very often but we always find time to watch this movie together and we still laugh every time!

Christmas Day

When my brother and I were children Christmas morning started very early with the excitement of seeing what Santa Clause brought us. Now it starts a little later in the morning and one of us usually goes to wake up the other because we are not allowed to open gifts until everyone is up! Santa still visits and we check out what is in our stockings then we move on to presents. My brother and I take turns distributing gifts between our Mom, him, and me. We also have a stocking filled with treats and toys for the pets because we do not want them to feel left out!

Most Importantly: CHRISTmas

Christmas is not only about presents but a celebration of the birth of Jesus!