Tove Lo Shows Us Her 'Lady Wood'

Tove Lo Shows Us Her 'Lady Wood'

Swedish pop songstress, Tove Lo releases dancefloor-ready sophomore album, "Lady Wood."

28
Tove Lo Shows Us Her 'Lady Wood'
Michigan Daily

Pop music has been saved once again!

The queen of Sweden has returned with her magical rhythms and hard-hitting lyrics to create the best pop album of the year.

Tove Lo first made waves in 2014 with her flawless debut "Queen Of The Clouds" featuring the ambitious anthem "Habits (Stay High)" that everyone is sure to have heard by now.

Even with such a big hit in "Habits," Lo still seemed to stay under the radar. Her follow-up hit "Talking Body" received considerable attention, as well as her Nick Jonas collaboration "Close" and her feature on Alesso's hit "Heroes (We Could Be)" to name a few others.

Lo has actually done a lot more than most people know, writing songs for Hilary Duff and Ellie Goulding. The latter being the smash hit "Love Me Like You Do," included on the "Fifty Shades of Grey" soundtrack.

Tove Lo definitely deserves more attention in the pop world. Hopefully, with her new album "Lady Wood," she can finally reach that level of success.

"Lady Wood" is the first part of a double album Lo has been planning, the second to be released later in 2017.

This album is divided into two chapters, the first being "Fairy Dust" and the second titled "Fire Fade."

The album title comes from a song with the same title in the first chapter of the record. She stated in an interview with Zach Sang, "People would always say I have balls, like I'm a ballsy girl, and that it's bad to be a pussy. But, that's what I actually have. I don't have balls."

Lo describes the overall idea of the album as chasing rushes. She explains that it can really apply to anything, love and relationships, music, even running a red light.

In the same interview, Lo also mentions, "It's like always wanting to feel alive. Kind of an escape. I just don't want to feel everything, I guess. It's like doing things that turn me, but scare me a little bit at the same time."

The result being an irresistibly danceable record. Instead of the more straight-forward pop style of her first album, Lo adds in some house elements and really lets the music take over.

Of course, lyrically Lo brings her brutal honesty to the table and doesn't censor a thing. In all but three of the songs, she drops multiple F-bombs and doesn't seem to care.

The album begins with an excellent track featuring rapper Wiz Khalifa titled "Influence" where Lo states in the chorus "You know I'm under the influence, so don't trust any word I say" highlighting the self-destructive qualities she sees in herself.

In lead single "Cool Girl," Lo sarcastically tells her lover that she's too cool for a relationship and says "No, let's not put a label on it, let's keep it fun."

Album highlight "Vibes," which features Joe Janiak, starts off with a slow guitar and then builds into one of the strongest tracks, destined to become a single.

Also, in the hopes of becoming a single, personal favorite, "True Disaster." With its dancey beat and raw lyrics, it's sure to be a hit.

Each of the songs from the "Fairy Dust" chapter are featured in the short film of the same name that Tove Lo released on Halloween on her YouTube channel. The film explores relationships, sex, death and more, with a lot of mature language and content.

Now, as the album progresses, so does the intensity. In chapter two, "Fire Fade," Lo sings about the negative ways her fame has affected her relationships in "Flashes" and tries to discover the true meaning of love in "WTF Love Is."

The standout track from this chapter would be "Imaginary Friend," which Lo explains at the end of the song as "a voice in my heart, reminding me that there's nothing to fear in the things I'm afraid of."

Overall, "Lady Wood" is a force musically, lyrically and vocally. Tove Lo knocked this one out of the park and there is not a single track you can't dance to.

As for the second part of the double album, Lo mentioned the final two chapters titled "Light Beams" and "Pitch Black," set to be released on her third album by the end of next year.

Definitely check out "Lady Wood" and if you haven't listened to it already, check out Lo's first album "Queen Of The Clouds." "Moments" and "Timebomb" are some of the best songs ever written as well as having incredible videos to go along with them.

Both albums are available in store, on iTunes, and Spotify.