10 Historical Movies That Will Transport You To The Past
Film

Because sometimes the past needs some glitter.

91
By Fernando de Sousa from Melbourne, Australia (Flickr) [CC BY-SA 2.0  (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Some of the best movies are about real time periods, but history usually gets a facelift for cinema. So here are some of the best movies that have real history behind them (but maybe not much of it).

1. Flyboys

"Flyboys" is a movie based on World War 1 and a real flight crew (albeit rather loosely). It shows the destruction that airplanes helped cause, but it also gives you a glimpse of soldiers being human. We get to connect with the crew as they face their fears and come to the realization that they are fighting other humans that are fighting for their own country.

2. Gone With The Wind

Although racism and slavery should stay in the past, "Gone With The Wind" is filled with Southern Belles and luxury. Scarlett O'Hara captivates our attention (either in awe of her talents or in disdain due to her manners) and leaves us glued to the screen. After all, a movie that is almost 4 hours long SHOULD leave us flabbergasted. The whole movie is littered with shiny items and beautiful women, which could charm any man to marriage.

3. The Great Gatsby

Set in my favorite decade of the past (when we got the right to vote!), "The Great Gatsby" tells of the gilded 1920s. Jay Gatsby, rich from certain jobs that he performed, holds lavish parties every night. This angers the rich who had inherited their lavish lifestyle, and both the book and movies show the fights between the old rich and the nouveau rich. "The Great Gatsby" is also a modern Romeo and Juliet, with the plot filled with star-crossed love, affairs, and death.

4. Singin' in the Rain

Another film set in the 1920s, this one highlights the transition from silent films to "talkies" and the filming competition. Films depicted a fantasy that viewers could escape to, and this was enhanced by the introduction of voice. Beautiful cars and new inventions are shown in the film, but it also dictates the struggles of actors whose voice didn't please the audience.

5. Memoirs of a Geisha

Geishas are the definition of the words beauty and grace. They are poised and intelligent, which is showcased in Memoirs of a Geisha. We get to see the inner workings of the maikos and geishas, including the cutthroat competition to be the best. We see what happens when WW2 begins, which destroys much of the geisha lifestyle.

6. Pride and Prejudice

This movie tacks you back to a time when gentlemen roamed. "Pride and Prejudice" showcases a woman who does not want to marry simply because she is told to, which is uncommon. However, there are social classes that force some women to marry so that they are not left to rot. Overall, the movie whisks you a way to changing times that have not yet changed.

7. Cleopatra

What is the past without its rulers? Cleopatra is the cunning (and conniving) ruler of Egypt. The ancient setting lacks nothing but enamors viewers with a glimpse of the past. She fights off Rome and takes a lover or two, but she proves that she is resilient no matter what (until she faces a snake, that is).

8. Back to the Future

Although it doesn't seem like it from the title, this movie focuses on the past. We get to look at pop culture references, hopes for the future, and everything retro. While not all the future predictions come true, we can certainly immerse ourselves in this movie, since it is a "recent" past.

9. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

One of the only westerns that I personally enjoy, the movie shows the progression of towns before modern times. Filled with action, like blazing guns and explosives, we get to see the iconic Mexican standoff. Plus, the shot shown in the gif has been proven to be possible, which makes it even better.

10. To Kill a Mockingbird

The book and movie with the seemingly perfect dad, this is a tale of racism and innocence. This book is a great lesson on how racism can ruin someone. You get fine examples of how the U.S. used to be during the Great Depression, with judgment based on color and mannerisms running rampant. While this movie is set in the past, it is a great warning to the modern day.